ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

de-cat & insurance

193 mk2
im thinking of getting a de-cat for my 172 mk2, should i declare it, as it is an mot failure and therefore makes my insurance invalid or do they just accept it as a mod??? can anyone help??? confused lol

Clio 172
I think you've answered your own question. Your car would not be considered road legal, therefore your car won't be covered by the insurance. It would come down to how thoroughly they checked your car in the event of a crash. The risk is up to you. I removed the decat on my 172 and went for a sport cat. No noticeable decrease in performance, just in the bank balance.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
wide said:
im thinking of getting a de-cat for my 172 mk2, should i declare it, as it is an mot failure and therefore makes my insurance invalid or do they just accept it as a mod??? can anyone help??? confused lol

Thats wot ive been trying to get accross !!!

If the decat failsur MOTsurely your insurance therefore becomes invalid!!!
i know insurance companies do accept this as a mod tho.... Lunner has his declared iirc

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
i'm always having this arguement with people it makes the car non road legal,i cant see the point in buying a newish car and doing that to it,its a hefty fine aswell if you get stop for a roadside emmissions test

SLK 350
You don't legally have to supply an emissions sample at the roadside anyway; you can defer the test for upto 21 days albeit at your own cost, but time enough to refit your cat and avoid a penalty.

As for a decat, just tell them you have a stainless exhaust system but don't actively specify a decat.