ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

dCi turbo problem (Loud hiss!!)

Clio Dynamique+

My 2002 dci clio engine gave up the ghost :sick:at 25200 miles, pistons impacted the valves, broke the woodruff key, you know the nasty picture, no idea how it happened, renault dont even know how, just started it one day and it sounded like a leyland daf lorry. Anyway renault eventually replaced the engine under warranty,which leaked about a 3rd of my oil every 3 or 4 days, high pressure oil return from the bottom of the engine which returns at the turbo, however I now seem to have the loudest turbo in the world, its louder than the engine when I drive past people, is basically just hisss really loudly from about 2500 revvs, the cars performance seems to be ok, but is the turbo damaged, or leaking airback to the air box, I cant find any air leaks, can anybody shed any light on this before I go back to renault again for about the 6th time since gettin the new engine.

Please help

Jonny

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

sounds like its leaking some boost pressure out somewhere. id let the dealer have a look.

Clio Dynamique+

It was bought as a 65 but the performance difference between the old and new engine is very different, maybe it was always faulty, dodgey valve timimgs or something which was gradually gettin worse, on an 80, where is the intercooler situated?

JonnyC

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

if its a 65bhp one then there is no intercooler so any leak would have to be from a turbo pipe. if its a 80bhp one then the intercooler will be at the front near the radiator.

Clio Dynamique+

Quote: Originally posted by Big Iain on 11 May 2004

this happened to mine and I got it repaired which took about 3 weks!!
What did they do to fix the problem, my engine is a 65 it just has a lot more torque than the last engine.

Meg on pistonheads £6995

TAKE it back and make a loud fuss!!

POLITELY INSIST on a courtesy car until its fixed!

Ive just written to my dealer about crap service and addressed it private and confidential to the Dealer Principal - things are happening now!!

failnig that, go to Reno HQ customer complaints

Clio Dynamique+

Any turbo experts out there??? Is there anything I can do to quiet down the hiss from the turbo, should I take off all the pipes and start again checking each joint, I just know that the local renault garage are just gonna moan at me if I show up again!!!!

JC

Take it back to renault straight away! Its their fault - you are well within your rights to moan - they are not. If they do moan then they are seriously in the wrong!

172 FF

Could be just a Jubilee clip that has come off. If that is the case you will be dropping a bit of power.

But whats all that about leaking oil? maybe the turbo has crashed & fooked up. If the noise is the only problem then check the any hose connectors or jubilee clips. If you still have other problems get it back to Renualt & get it fixed instead of bodged this time. In other words kick up a fuss.

Clio Dynamique+

You guys have no idea how much grief this has caused me, I was without a car for just over a month while Renault decided whether or not to repair or replace the engine, they couldnt give me a courtesy car as they didnt have any, they couldnt even give me a hire car at a reduced rate all because I didnt book the car in in advance, I drove in (well limped in) to the main dealer who send me to one of their satellite franchises cause there league time was 2 weeks, they kept my car assuming it was only the timing pretensioners fixed that but it turned out to be alot worse as I first said.

The new engine is so much quicker than the old one (wondering what they sold me in the first place) but it leaked oil, 2 weeks later and a big oil mess on the drive, that was fixed.

The day I got my car back I drove out of the garage up the road round the roundabout and back into the workshop, the turbo is very hissy, they checked it said it happens now and again, dont worry about it, ok..... took it back for the oil leak, and now its even hissier!!!! I mean if I was 17 Id think it sounds really cool to have the worlds biggest turbo but I know its not right and it has to be fixed!!!!!

JC

The Jinx

Sounds like a boost leak. I had a BX TD a while back and after the engine had been out to have a new radiator hose the grease-monkey didnt re-fit one of the pipes for the turbo properly and it came off at 90mph.

That made a loud hissing noise, but the performance was down. I suspect you just have a leak though. Theyve probably not put something back on properly.

172 FF

Yeah as said above, if there is only this noise, just check all the pipes coming from the turbo to the inlet. Probably just a clip come off. Maybe a bust pipe, but wouldnt have thought so unless it was running too much boost.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

i would say boost leak, or when u had the oil leak it starved the turbo of oil, and is now f**ked and the noise u hear is the bearings....

172 FF

Ah yeah good point MaLicE. it didnt have to totally starve it either. If the oil pressure dropped enough, then the turbo shaft would have grabbed on the bearings under load & picked up. Then its bye bye turbo.

I know this cos I had 3 turbos on my last car & they kept going due to low oil pressure.

But hopefully, it will just be a boost pressure leak.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the turbo makes more of a whineing noise if the bearings go and if they were that bad the turbo would collaspe anyway and youd know about that. i would defo take it back as its probably something theyve left loose.

Clio Dynamique+

It just seems to be a compressed air kinda noise, the exhaust doest sound like its blowing at the manifold but Im no mechanic, there is no whine from the bearings so hopfully the turbo is ok!!

Looks like all Im goin to hav to do is go back to Renault again!! :cry:

Thanks guys I think well close on that!!

JC