ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dashboard cluster LED conversion

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
Hello All,
The crappy orange dash board lights on standard Clios and indeed other cars, makes me feel physically sick! Its so dull, boring and well orange lmao!
Soooo, I bought some PLCC-2 smd lights in zenon white off eBay last week and finally got a free day to remove the dash and solder them in place.
Here's how it came out:
8462336699_58b64809ba_c.jpg

8462336669_c9474ee1ce_c.jpg

For the needles, I scraped the white paint off the back and used some renault D48 touch-up paint I bought. You can use your Misses nail varnish as well (or your own if your a bit fruity...)

If you know how to solder then this is a very simple mod with amazing results! I would highly recommend it to anyone!

All the best,
~David

clio 182
Hey mate. looks awesome....just wondered how difficult is this to do. is there like a instructions website that you know of or a guide anywhere......i will say i think i last soldered when in school which was about ten years ago..lol :( on a scale of 1-10 for instance how difficult is this. I WANT THIS !!!!!! :)
cheers
Hello All,
The crappy orange dash board lights on standard Clios and indeed other cars, makes me feel physically sick! Its so dull, boring and well orange lmao!
Soooo, I bought some PLCC-2 smd lights in zenon white off eBay last week and finally got a free day to remove the dash and solder them in place.
Here's how it came out:
8462336699_58b64809ba_c.jpg

8462336669_c9474ee1ce_c.jpg

For the needles, I scraped the white paint off the back and used some renault D48 touch-up paint I bought. You can use your Misses nail varnish as well (or your own if your a bit fruity...)

If you know how to solder then this is a very simple mod with amazing results! I would highly recommend it to anyone!

All the best,
~David

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I'm going to give this a go. Did you use a fine tip on the soldering iron?

Want the red display to pretend I'm "driving a german whip"

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
I got half way through doing my dash in purple then have up as I have a damaged nerve In my hand and can't hold soldering iron properly :(

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
What are the buttons and climate panel like to do. I can't imagine it being fun.

I know people use some kind of film to diffuse the light for the displays. Anyone fancy linking me up on ebay or the like.

Many.
No need for films, they have a film as standard, mines just had LED's done.

Climate panel is a b*****d. 26 SMD's in total, four (for the display) are the PLCC 4, rest are 2.

Buttons (window switches/rear screen etc) aren't supposed to be that bad, but I haven't looked into those yet.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Awesome, cheer mate

Twenty bloody six. Ohh give me a break!

I'll start with the clocks and go from there I think :cool:

Many.
Clocks are the easist, start with the four dial SMD's (two on each dial, next to the centre spindle), they are only 2 pin, so easy peasy, before doing the four display 4pin SMD's, they are a bit more of a pain, although I treated them as 3pin (negative side linked together for ease)

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Just taken my old 182 clocks apart and it looks like the display is the same type of smd as the rest of the dash.

Recommend a soldering iron for under a fiver as mine has a huge end (not an innuendo)!

BG 182 & 225 T
This looks wicked!

What is the difference between the plcc-2 and plcc-4?

again, on a scale of 1-10 how difficult is this whole job, as in removing everything doing the soldering then putting it back together?

There is no difference in size.

The difference is to the amount of legs on the SMD.

As Alex said above treat PLCC-4 as a 3 poled negative LED.

Leemitch-91 if you have no soldering experience I'd say 8-9, with experience I'd say 6-7 as a steady hand and a fine tip is needed.

Clio 1.6 16V
This'll be dependant on the year on your car. If it has a digital center or dials for fuel and engine temp.
They'll either be all 3528 PLCC-2 SMD, or 3528 PLCC-4 SMD aswell as.
And the trip computer also just a smd the color i want ?

Mine has dials for fuel and temp
All PLCC-2 then I can't remember how many you'll need, call it 10 to be safe.
2 SMD for each REV and ODOMETER
1 SMD for each TEMP and FUEL
4 SMD for the LCD ??

Think that's correct, best bet it pulling the dials out is dismantle to check first, also I put white SMDs in so the needles colour can be whatever you paint them and the dials have a white background and white SMD for LCD so you have white characters and a blue hue background due to the LCD itself.

Clio 1.6 16V
All PLCC-2 then I can't remember how many you'll need, call it 10 to be safe.
2 SMD for each REV and ODOMETER
1 SMD for each TEMP and FUEL
4 SMD for the LCD ??

Think that's correct, best bet it pulling the dials out is dismantle to check first, also I put white SMDs in so the needles colour can be whatever you paint them and the dials have a white background and white SMD for LCD so you have white characters and a blue hue background due to the LCD itself.
The LCD Will be blue if i insert a white smd or you painted it ?