ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

dash rattle but maybe firewall rattle and dog mount

1.5 dci
Hi all
my car is an 02 1.5 dci 65 with 64000 miles. I have a really strong vibration/rattle when in high gear at lower speeds but engine not struggling. It sounds like its coming from under the centre of the dash to the steering wheel area. I have had the dashtop off and couldnt find anything.

when its really going for it the sound seems to be coming through the firewall. I did think maybe a loose brake resevoir but thats tight. Removed the black trim outside windscreen and its still doing it.

could a worn dog mount at the bottom cause this. On inpection it looks slightly perished. Cracking etc and its probably original so 11 years old now.

1.5 dci
I have noticed today that the rattle clears if I lift off and then starts again as soon as I press the accelator. Im beginning to become more inclined that its mount related as my gearstick moves back and forth but not by much.

1.5 dci
Well I have changed the dog mount to the twisted style but have not tested yet. The old one was split at the outer rubber edge. When I finished that I had a look at the anti roll bar bushes/drop links and I think I have found the problem.

​the passenger side has pulled through the hole and the top rubber washer is non exsistent. The drivers side is brittle and cracked to buggery. Ill try and grind em off sat or sun and post the result.

1.5 dci
Fixed it. The arb bushes have tightened the steering but the rattle was caused by play in the brake caliper.