ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dark Souls - I want to throw it out the window

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
^ Scutch you can summon NPC Solaire for Smough and Ornstein if you are struggling. Although it is abit of challenge just reaching him without dieing. What weapon/armor are you going for?

I tried using Solaire and some random guy and they both got toasted.

I'm currently switching between Lightning Spear +4, Zweihander Fire +5, Drake Sword and Claymore Fire+5. Still early days and want to infuse a few weapons with lightning or with the divine embers. Got quite a few of the bulky stuff too, clubs, dragon tooth, all Havel's gear etc. etc.

It's funny searching online for "best weapon" as there's not really one that stands out, each weapon is different for a particular build. Which is quite cool I guess but a lot of trial and error needed to suit your own needs. I'm rocking the Gold Hem Black Armour at the moment. Looks kinda trampy/ninja style but it's very light yet also quite decent, damage infliction wise. Tried Havel's armour and couldn't even roll! That sh*t is way too heavy, even though I'm strength 42 at the moment.

Nissan 350z
You need Havels ring to make rolling better with the heavier stuff. Hes at the base of the tower in Darkroot Basin near the Hydra boss. Your gear doesnt seem to bad so maybe your weakness now is the lack of flasks / their potency. How many do you have, and what is their "+" rating?

And yeah there is no best weapon its all personal style. I found http://darksouls.wikidot.com/quelaag-s-furysword very good. You should be able to make that by now as well :)

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I've got 3 Estus flasks and loads of rings, including Havels. Will have to try that.

Fabia VRS & Yeti
I've had this game for over 6 months, played it twice.
Haven't got past the first boss:eek:
My line of thought was that if this doesn't get any easier then fcuk this!

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
3rd time dying at the taurus...

Is that the one on the bridge? When you come out of the tower, to the right is a staircase with two archers on the top. Go up and take them out first. Then go half way across the bridge until the demon appears and then leg it back to those ladders. Climb up to the tower roof again and when the Taurus Demon gets to the wall under you, jump down and press R1/RB which will do a downward slash. Run across the bridge again and when he attacks, roll/dodge and run back to the ladders. Rinse and repeat.

If you have any firebombs you can lock on to him from the roof and chuck them down at him too.

I died a few times taking him on but patience.

04BGFF182CLIORS
Is that the one on the bridge? When you come out of the tower, to the right is a staircase with two archers on the top. Go up and take them out first. Then go half way across the bridge until the demon appears and then leg it back to those ladders. Climb up to the tower roof again and when the Taurus Demon gets to the wall under you, jump down and press R1/RB which will do a downward slash. Run across the bridge again and when he attacks, roll/dodge and run back to the ladders. Rinse and repeat.

If you have any firebombs you can lock on to him from the roof and chuck them down at him too.

I died a few times taking him on but patience.

Essentially was my tactic, but I got in his way a few times - its the fact there is a good 10 minute walk to get to him as some of the enemies on the way can be tough b*stards! I have levelled up a few times in the process mind...

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Yeah, once you get the Drake sword, the skeletons are pretty much easy pickings. The early guys are really nothing compared to the more advanced game enemies, as you'd expect. It's basically sticking with it to level up and get used to the game and its surroundings. When you do something enough times, you become very familiar with it.

Nissan 350z
Scutch are you playing this on Xbox or PC?

Killed Smough and Ornstein last night got the Lord Vessel allowing me to teleport around so set off into the Catacombs and through the Tomb of Giants in the pitch black..... only to realise i had forgotten to turn in the Lord Vessel at the Shrine and couldnt progress! FML i wasted all that time just to have to leave it all for nothing. Might forget about that for now and go to the Painted World area in Anor Londo instead.

04BGFF182CLIORS
Yeah, once you get the Drake sword, the skeletons are pretty much easy pickings. The early guys are really nothing compared to the more advanced game enemies, as you'd expect. It's basically sticking with it to level up and get used to the game and its surroundings. When you do something enough times, you become very familiar with it.

Ive heard about this Drake sword - will I come across it as I play the game or do I need to find it?

What class are people playing as by the way? I started as a pyromancer as it seemed a good all-rounder according to guides online!

Fiesta ST3
To get the drakesword you have to shoot the tail of the dragon on the bridge not far from the firelink bonfire. Get a s**t ton of arrows and be patient.

Scirocco GT 210
To get the drakesword you have to shoot the tail of the dragon on the bridge not far from the firelink bonfire. Get a s**t ton of arrows and be patient.

This ^^. You need to go onto the lower section of the bridge where the big red (Kite?) dragon is. If you look to the right hand side you will see the dragon's tail waving about.

In fact quite a few bosses have a tail which can be cut off - giving you a unique item if you manage it.

Reading this thread actually wants me to play Dark Souls again - absolutely brilliant this game; completed it twice now. I once managed to go through about 7 or 8 hours of gameplay without dying once, was very proud of myself ha. And then I fell off a ledge in Sen's Fortress. :dapprove:

Haven't played it for months though, but when I last did I was just putting my White Sign down and helping people beat bosses (I was in the Warriors of Sunlight covenant). Must have killed Ornstein and Smough over 50 times! Hint - ignore Smough (the fat b*****d) and focus entirely on Ornstein, kill him first.

Can't wait for Dark Souls 2 - I just hope they don't make it too easy. ;)

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Scutch are you playing this on Xbox or PC?

Killed Smough and Ornstein last night got the Lord Vessel allowing me to teleport around so set off into the Catacombs and through the Tomb of Giants in the pitch black..... only to realise i had forgotten to turn in the Lord Vessel at the Shrine and couldnt progress! FML i wasted all that time just to have to leave it all for nothing. Might forget about that for now and go to the Painted World area in Anor Londo instead.

I'm on 360 mate. Tomb of the Giants is bloody tough, nigh on impossible with no light. I bought cast light spell from Dusk where I beat the Hydra boss.

04BGFF182CLIORS
Taurus joker defeated last night, now going to attempt to get the Drake sword. Soul farming using the fire breathing trick is a little cheeky - also go back out to undeadburg and pick off the few guys there - easy 2000 souls!

1.8 Civic EX
Tempted by this. Have lots of old games I no longer play that I might trade in. Worth getting the "prepare to die" edition over the standard one?

Fiesta ST3
^^ do you have an xbox? I can sell you mine for a good price mate. Pm me if you fancy. Ive completed it, so no point holding on to it..

Fiesta ST3
Yeah. Easy way to make 555 souls. Rinse and repeat.

Have you been to the special area in the darkroot garden? Its the same thing, but easier, and you get 7000 souls. Its mega, dont do it online there though, everyone invades because so many ppl congregate there.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Have you been to the special area in the darkroot garden? Its the same thing, but easier, and you get 7000 souls. Its mega, dont do it online there though, everyone invades because so many ppl congregate there.

Yes. Grinding.

Ive now made it down to the constantly respawning baby skeletons in Tomb of the Giants.

Nissan 350z
^ Not the same mate. Without the Xbox Live part you dont have the ability to summon other players for co-op, and you dont have the risk/excitement of being invaded. You also dont get any of the "sign post" messages left by other people :(

04BGFF182CLIORS
Does anyone know if the PTD version will read standard game saves?

Im only borrowing the game from a friend atm but want to buy my own copy and the PTD version is actually cheaper!

Nissan 350z
Awh, Wouldn't steam be able to play online?
Still the amount you and scutch are talking about it makes me want to play it anyway lol

The Steam version uses Xbox Live as well mate thats how it allows you to play online. But you still need a legit version and a Microsoft sub.

@Martynzs sorry i dont know.

Nissan 350z
Gotcha sorry when you said you had downloaded it i assumed you meant a pirated version not the Steam version :)

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
When you rest at a bonfire you can use a Humanity drop you've collected to return to living form. In this state, you can summon other people (whether that being human or AI) to help you through various battles. Some of the boss battles are a hell of a lot easier with a follower or two and it is quite nice that others offer that assistance to be summoned to help you out.

The downside of being in living form is your are susceptible to being invaded by another human (a phantom). They will enter your game and hunt you down purely to kill you. This can be very frustrating, especially if you've used your last Humanity to summon a helper with a boss, only for another guy to invade your game, kill you and you lose that Humanity. I've been invaded a few times and TBH I dread it when I hear the sound effect of an invader coming into your game. Quite terrifying knowing you're being hunted. Of course you could battle with them and win, but generally invaders are strong otherwise they wouldn't bother. I was next to a bonfire in Anor Londo, and used a Humanity as the two bosses in there are not easy at all. I waited around for a summon sign to appear on the floor. As I was waiting, I was invaded. I tried to wait it out in that room to see if the invader would get bored of looking. He eventually entered the room in his glowing red state, saw me, closed the door behind him so I couldn't escape and battered me with a giant hammer which sent shockwaves through the ground. I had no chance at all of beating him or getting away. Another time in the same place, I was invaded again waiting on a summon sign, and I hid on a high ledge adjacent to an open window for around 10 minutes, just hoping the guy would leave. Nope. He found me after he'd obviously searched high and low (the sound of a heart beat increases so you/he knows the other person is close). Ended up fighting on the building ledge and I ended up being knocked off to my death. I actually think I could have knocked him off TBH but I rushed in.

So yeah, the element of human aid is a very rewarding, but being invaded can suck. Although obviously you can invade games too.

Fiesta ST-2
I don't think I played the game long enough to get invaded, it sounds like a cool feature though. From what I remember I'd just started leveling stuff up at the blacksmith?

Nissan 350z

Dont forget you can also use the Orange stone to leave a message "Need Humanity" and hope that other players use their Orange stones to "+ rating" your message. Each one that does give you a free humanity (it adds itself automatically to your counter in the top left). I try to help others out with this as much as possible hoping they return the favour :)

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Dont forget you can also use the Orange stone to leave a message "Need Humanity" and hope that other players use their Orange stones to "+ rating" your message. Each one that does give you a free humanity (it adds itself automatically to your counter in the top left). I try to help others out with this as much as possible hoping they return the favour :)

I didn't realise this. Does it add to the humanity or simply give you more Estus for your flask?

Fiesta ST-3
Bought this the other day, still haven't had chance to play it though.

​It'll be tomorrow night, I actually can't wait!! bring on the rage quit :)

Nissan 350z
Just completed it! I didn't realise how close I was to the end until it finished. That said I have missed all of the "Prepare to Die" DLC as I didn't know I was at the end so I'm going back again through NG+ to reach the DLC. Typical :rolleyes:

Nissan 350z
I played for about 2-3 hours after I downloaded it, Seems to be good but the graphics are annoying me. Im not saying im basing the game on graphics alone, but its something that makes it for me

Because the game was only ported to PC after the fans petitioned Capcom it hasn't been optimized in the slightest. That said because its the PC the fans have stepped in to help. For starters id download: http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/19
That will address the graphic issues somewhat :)