ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dark/brown coolant after track day

Somnambulist

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I was out at Silverstone on Sunday, and was running my 182 for just under two hours solid. I popped the bonnet at the end and my coolant (which was changed in November) had gone from a lovely vibrant pink to a very dark brown/black colour. No overheating issues or cream on the oil cap to indicate head gasket issues.

Someone has suggested the sustained heat has just lifted rust out of the radiator, but any other ideas or anyone had this before?

Cup In bits
If it does cloud up again I would be very surprised of it being a head gasket having never heard of one fail oil-water.

Where they can mix is on the thermostat housing gasket as it seals two oil galleries and a few waterways on the same gasket... Just something to bear in mind if a flush doesn't work.

Somnambulist

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
That's really helpful thanks. Just spoke to Terry at Two Techs who mentioned it may also be because I didn't give them Type D coolant when it was changed in November. Apparently you should only ever run Type D coolant and these cars aren't keen on water-mixed solutions, so I'll be picking some up tomorrow and changing it on Friday!