ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Damn ABS lights !!!

Clio cup ff 182 rs
sooo... as the title says im experiencing the dreaded ABS faults however its a bit of a strange one i cant find anthing similar to it...

ive owned my 182 FF now for over 5 years,
Ive never had any major faults with her until last year my traction control stopped working as it should and this was the start of things to come,
like many others on here have said too all the dash lights work ( green for cruise orange for limiter ) but i cant set a speed for either of them, this was intermittent for a few months on and off and then it remained that way ever since and out of order.

However after CC stopped being intermittent i noticed the abs would pulse through the brake pedal more often than it ever did, just like when the abs tests itself the pedal sorta pulses and you hear a clicking type noise, the noise also which is audible even from outside the car, this happened each and every time i braked which it never used to anyway !
soon after all this the ABS lights came on in all there glory !
i now have the ABS light, handbrake light, stop and serv lights all on ! :(

obviously since this is the case my CC is no longer in the equation as with the abs not working that kills it anyway....
these lights are on as soon as i start the car up and they remain on for days on end !
one day they'll go off but not for long, as soon as i brake again the pedal pulses and the lights spring back into action, the longest the lights have stayed off has been one whole day but they where not gone long...

i have had the car on clip, it throws up an ABS permanent failure fault, however i doubt the pump is actually knackered as when the lights do happen to go off the pump fires and makes the pedal pump like i mentioned so it must work and so im guessing it has to be a wiring issue or something along those lines ?

is there any simple ways i can narrow this down ?
is it normal for the ABS to pulse the brake pedal each and every time you stop ?
in the whole time ive owned my car its only recently its happened so im guessing its not normal...

i was told my ABS rings are fine etc too but ive got a bit of an issue with my speedo also which from searching on here i believe takes its reading from the ABS sensors on the 182's ? so again i wonder if it is a faulty sensor or ring but thats not the fault i get so im a bit confuzzled !
ive adjusted the brake switch that works perfect the lights come on easy enough with little force being applied to the brake the clutch switch seems to be fine also it works and i cant seem to adjust it either so ive just assumed thats fine, G sensor at the handbrake loos spot on and the coonections are clean and dry.
ive checked and cleaned the rear light earths and cleaned and checked the fuse boxes too !

does anyone know what it can be ive tried everything bar checking connections all over the car with a multimeter and since clips saying its my ABS pump id rather know if it was that for sure before going and replacing it at a cost !

my steering wheel sits slightly to the right also when driving straight which it didn't before either ive yet to check the SAS but i will tomorrow hopefully if i have a chance, would that not throw up a fault though if it was that ?

anyhow i would appreciate it if anyone knows anything about this or has had similar issues which they have sorted out.

sorry if this isn't in the right section either but this is my first post on here so far im not quite 100% on how to use the forums yet so bare with me ha-ha.
thanks in advance anyhow.

Gav

Clio cup ff 182 rs
sooo... as the title says im experiencing the dreaded ABS faults however its a bit of a strange one i cant find anthing similar to it...

ive owned my 182 FF now for over 5 years,
Ive never had any major faults with her until last year my traction control stopped working as it should and this was the start of things to come,
like many others on here have said too all the dash lights work ( green for cruise orange for limiter ) but i cant set a speed for either of them, this was intermittent for a few months on and off and then it remained that way ever since and out of order.

However after CC stopped being intermittent i noticed the abs would pulse through the brake pedal more often than it ever did, just like when the abs tests itself the pedal sorta pulses and you hear a clicking type noise, the noise also which is audible even from outside the car, this happened each and every time i braked which it never used to anyway !
soon after all this the ABS lights came on in all there glory !
i now have the ABS light, handbrake light, stop and serv lights all on ! 😧

obviously since this is the case my CC is no longer in the equation as with the abs not working that kills it anyway....
these lights are on as soon as i start the car up and they remain on for days on end !
one day they'll go off but not for long, as soon as i brake again the pedal pulses and the lights spring back into action, the longest the lights have stayed off has been one whole day but they where not gone long...

i have had the car on clip, it throws up an ABS permanent failure fault, however i doubt the pump is actually knackered as when the lights do happen to go off the pump fires and makes the pedal pump like i mentioned so it must work and so im guessing it has to be a wiring issue or something along those lines ?

is there any simple ways i can narrow this down ?
is it normal for the ABS to pulse the brake pedal each and every time you stop ?
in the whole time ive owned my car its only recently its happened so im guessing its not normal...

i was told my ABS rings are fine etc too but ive got a bit of an issue with my speedo also which from searching on here i believe takes its reading from the ABS sensors on the 182's ? so again i wonder if it is a faulty sensor or ring but thats not the fault i get so im a bit confuzzled !
ive adjusted the brake switch that works perfect the lights come on easy enough with little force being applied to the brake the clutch switch seems to be fine also it works and i cant seem to adjust it either so ive just assumed thats fine, G sensor at the handbrake loos spot on and the coonections are clean and dry.
ive checked and cleaned the rear light earths and cleaned and checked the fuse boxes too !

does anyone know what it can be ive tried everything bar checking connections all over the car with a multimeter and since clips saying its my ABS pump id rather know if it was that for sure before going and replacing it at a cost !

my steering wheel sits slightly to the right also when driving straight which it didn't before either ive yet to check the SAS but i will tomorrow hopefully if i have a chance, would that not throw up a fault though if it was that ?

anyhow i would appreciate it if anyone knows anything about this or has had similar issues which they have sorted out.

sorry if this isn't in the right section either but this is my first post on here so far im not quite 100% on how to use the forums yet so bare with me ha-ha.
thanks in advance anyhow.

Gav

Any ideas ?
Since posting this I've changed abs rings, cleaned all sensors, had it on a diagnostics.

Diagnosis says permanent abs pump failure ?

However the lights are intermittent and go off on occasions, when theologies go out I feel the brake pedal pulsing under braking so in theory the pump still works ? Would this be correct ?

If it's a wiring fault where is it likely to be ? I've checked plugs wtc cleaned connections and put it back together and so on...

How many teeth are supposed to be on the rear abs rings ?
I did get the brakes changed around the time these lights came on and have seen others saying the rings were incorrect or not fitted properly ? But I'm thinking this would show as a different fault ?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

G

Clio cup ff 182 rs
Its the abs pump mate needs swapping out

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply bud much appreciated.
Just my luck haha. Is there a certain pump I'd be looking for ? I read somewhere on here there was a code to match up is that right ?
My cars an 05 plate 182 cup if that's any help.

Many thanks.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Its the code on top of the pump mate i have a 04 plate 182 that may match can you get a photo of the top of the pump?

Clio cup ff 182 rs
Its the code on top of the pump mate i have a 04 plate 182 that may match can you get a photo of the top of the pump?

I'll try my best to get a picture for you last time I checked the pump it was hidden basically under all the sound proofing stuff at the back of the engine and was difficult to see any of it, is there an easier way to see it or is that the only way from above ? If so I'll get stuck in and try and pull the sound proofing out the way enough to get a pic for you.

Thanks again

downloadfile.jpg

Same lights mate yeah. To get the pump out you'll need to loosen the 6 brake lines on the pump, then 3 bolts holding the pump on via the NSF wheel arch (bottom 2 just loosen off as the pump sits on the bolts with Crescent fitting on the pump, top one comes out) unharness the electrical clip of the pump and undo the brake lines, then pull the pump out. You may need to pull the engine forward to get the pump out.

Reverse to refit the new one, bleed the system best you can then go out and find some gravel or grass and get the Abs to kick in 4-5 times then re-bleed. No need for clip...

Clio cup ff 182 rs
Great Bud thanks for that sounds fairly straight forward so I'll give it a go myself :up:
What code is it on the pump that's supposed to match ? Or does it not need to match and I've read something wrong 🙈 Haha.
Thanks again !