ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Daily mods?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
OEM.

My 172 had a list of suspension mods which was as long as your arm.

My 1.2, over Dartmoor, was far quicker and more confident. I actually had people ask me when I'd done the F4R conversion, because they couldn't believe that it would outhandle a 172 in dem twisties. Usually someone who'd gone all out with coilovers and ARBs etc.

For driving on tracks and billiard tables, having a rock hard suspension is great. It feels like you're driving a go-kart. But in the real world with bumpy lanes you simply can't run suspension that hard without picking up wheels.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
OEM.

My 172 had a list of suspension mods which was as long as your arm.

My 1.2, over Dartmoor, was far quicker and more confident. I actually had people ask me when I'd done the F4R conversion, because they couldn't believe that it would outhandle a 172 in dem twisties. Usually someone who'd gone all out with coilovers and ARBs etc.

For driving on tracks and billiard tables, having a rock hard suspension is great. It feels like you're driving a go-kart. But in the real world with bumpy lanes you simply can't run suspension that hard without picking up wheels.

So much truth in this. Lowering a car rarely makes it better on the road, it just makes it feel like you're going faster.

The more hardcore and track focused you make the suspension, the worse the car gets on the road and, crucially, the smaller its operating window becomes. Put most people into a proper race car and they would be hopeless. They would struggle to get the best out of it because the margins are so small. A pro can operate in that window, average Joe can't. A road car is forgiving so a normal person can get more from it. Just keep it simple.

Once you've freshened up the suspension/brakes, if you're going to spend any more, spend it on tuition for yourself, it's the best money you'll spend.

Listerine & Poledo
So much truth in this. Lowering a car rarely makes it better on the road, it just makes it feel like you're going faster.

Does a 25mm drop make that much difference in perspective? Actual question here.

I know that when I went from my old Mazda nothing felt as quick until you looked down and realised you're going way faster that your eyes were telling you.

I dropped mine on the chepo 40mm AMAX springs from ECP and the ride is much, much better than OE on the road, saying that I changed the shocks at the same time. Was also quicker around Oulton by a few seconds with just this...

172 Turbo
A pro can operate in that window, average Joe can't. A road car is forgiving so a normal person can get more from it. Just keep it simple.

I sold my bodied Mi16 caged 205 to a racer, he came and we went for a test drive.

I sat pinned to the passenger whilst he extracted more power and carried far more power than I ever could from it.

He went on and won a series in it. Great car.