ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

D80, 50mm & Fireworks advice

Megane RS 275 Trophy
After having my D80 for a few months now I think it's time to get a 50mm prime.

I want to know what I can buy, I've looked on fleabay and the choice is quite large. What I want to know is which to go for 1.4, 1.8 also will any auto focus on my D80 as it looks like the older ones won't.

Also I'm going to the start of the firework world championships in Blackpool on Sunday (then every Friday for 4 week). I need some shooting tips for the event I have a Sigma 10-20mm and a Nikon 18-135mm which lens am I best using and what setting should I use for the camera?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Billy

LY 182 FF CUPPED
200 iso
F4
Bulb (cable release required)
Piece of black card
Tripod

Depending on light intensity it is hard to determine your exposure times, however fireworks are hit and miss.

I used to sit with the camera on the above settings, with card in hand - starting off with 30 second exposures.

The trick is with YOUR timing to capture the fireworks YOU want.

So this is where the card comes in
Learn to "pre -empt" when the fire works "peak" into the sky - and count in your head your exposure times ( probably around 7 seconds) instead of closing the shutter just place the card over the front of the lens, awaiting the next firework - and continue the above to a total of around 30 seconds.

Experimenting is the key to the effect you want.

It might be that you only want 1 firework ,instead of a series of 2 or more.

Aim to get the sky "BLACK"

Remember that a good Tripod is needed, and don't knock the Camera or Tripod in between fireworks.
I did say F4 above, it depends if you are using a 2.8 lens or wider, stop what ever lens you have a few stops down from wide open.
2 things will happen here - it will allow shorter exposure times and not being wide open will help with edge sharpness.

If you require longer exposure times you can simply stop the lens another 2 stops ( quadrupling overall exposure times from the original)

Megane RS 275 Trophy
The D80 has multiple exposure so can I use that instead of the card, Also will my remote be better for the shutter release (will this work on bulb setting)?

I'm only asking because I've never used the remote or bulb setting yet.

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg
Hi Billy

The remote does work on Bulb setting.
One press to open the shutter and press again after whatever time you desire to close it.

Also I'm going to the start of the firework world championships in Blackpool on Sunday (then every Friday for 4 week). I need some shooting tips for the event I have a Sigma 10-20mm and a Nikon 18-135mm which lens am I best using and what setting should I use for the camera?

Depends completely on how close you are, how intense the fireworks are and what sort of photos you want. I've shot fireworks a few times and used completely different settings each time. The only constant has been to use the remote shutter to minimize camera movement.

These were taken from approx one mile away with a Nikon 80-200 2.8

135mm, 5 seconds at f2.8
239880103_W33CJ-L.jpg

80mm, 6 seconds at f2.8
217856237_umhtK-L.jpg

Megane RS 275 Trophy
Thanks for all the help with this, I went tonight took some pics it went OK(ish).

results to follow in a new thread,
Billy