ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

D5000 Advice

I got the D5000 as my first dslr four years ago and I still enjoy using it now.

I think the camera really lends itself to the beginner and has lots of useful features that make understanding what the camera is doing and how to get the most from it nice and easy.

I don't know anything about that sigma lens but I've got the Nikon 70-300VR and it's great for Motorsport or wildlife photography. On a crop sensor like the D5000 my Nikon lens works out as 105mm-450mm so the range is really useful and it's nice and sharp. VR is superb and works really well on this lens.

If you can get the camera for a good price I say go for it.

Here's a few shots I took with my D5000 and my 18-105.

http://www.cliosport.net/index.php?threads/My-Favourite-New-York-pics.679062/

Last edited:
  Mk7 Golf, Daytona600
Thank you @Jack-C , I guess I'll see what it goes for.
May just go for a brand new camera with kit lens and buy another lens once I know how to use it.
Awesome pictures btw!

Looks a nice little set up to start with. If you can get it for a good price then do so.
What lenses you need all depends what you want to take pictures of. You may be better off not buying in a bundle, but if its cheap enough and you have a use then do it.

For a first camera i don't see why you need to buy new. Don't buy rubbish, but a second hand D5000, D5100, D3100, D3200 etc... or even a D7000 in good condition for a good price would be ideal.

As for the VR, it helps a lot when you have no tripod.

Thank you @Jack-C , I guess I'll see what it goes for.
May just go for a brand new camera with kit lens and buy another lens once I know how to use it.
Awesome pictures btw!

No worries James

I have to agree with Tony above tho, camera body's always loose a fair bit of money so buying a camera second hand in great condition really does make sense. That D5000 kit your looking at looks great to me so fingers crossed you get it for a good price because it looks ideal.

Thanks for the kind comment :)

Clio RS 172 2002
Get good lenses, second hand if necessary. Nikkor, not third-party stuff. Apart from them being better in terms of image quality, they also hold their value.

There are good third-party lenses but generally they are expensive.