ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

D40 Body Only

Bumder With A Buffer
Hi..Hardly venture into this part of the forum much so go easy.

Contemplating buying a second hand Nikon D40, Is it worth buying just the body only or ideally should I be looking for one with a lens?? I have no idea what type of lens (im guessing 18-55mm???)

If not could you tell me what lens I should be looking for if I did go for a Body only.

Fank youuuuu

Ian

Focus TDCi
Hey Rich, depends how much you're planning on using it and what you'll be using it for tbh!

As a general rule the kit lenses (like the 18-55mm) can always be bettered, but it's a handy focal length to have and if you're not planning on wasting away future pay packets on new equipment then it'll do the job just fine.

If you're wanting to try motorsport or wildlife photography you might find it a bit short.

Bumder With A Buffer
I'd like to think I would use it a lot.

Wildlife/nature/trackdays/macro shots etc. I'm guessing there is no such thing as a good "allrounder" to cover all those. I know I would need a macro lens to do the macro stuf (well I think I do anyway!) but what about the others??

D40 & 18-55 is a great way to get started as it gives you a chance too see what kind of focal lengths you will need. If possible try get the 18-55 VR lens, you can actually get some pretty sharp shots from it, its a very good entry level lens.

Or is possible, get the 18-55 VR and 55-200 VR, there is an ebay seller who sells the 55-200 very cheap.

Whats the budget?

Bumder With A Buffer
At the minute £300-500.. But I always look out for bargains! :eek:

so a d40 with 18-55mm might be okay, there's a few on egay at the minute...

edit it comes with 18-55mm lens and a sigma 55-200mm

Bumder With A Buffer
That may drop down once the new car arrives though...depends how much I spunk on that really! :eek:

Only reason I chose D40 as it seemed like an ok entry level camera.

Tis a good entry level camera, getting rare finding a nice low shutter count one these days! Its current replacement in the Nikon line is the D3000 which is about £340 with the 18-55 VR lens (new).

Bumder With A Buffer
Yeah I saw the shutter count stuff. What do they say they will last for roughly?? Do the manufacturers say 20000+ or something??

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Hi mate, the D40 w/kit lens is a great way to get into photography. I'd also recommend the 55-200 alongside to extend your overall focal length.

Majority of the pics I took here http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=513746 were with the combination of both lens's and the D40.

I'm looking to upgrade next year though :)

Bumder With A Buffer
Have seen a D40 up for sale...

"Hi there guys, selling my Nikon D40 body and battery – The camera really is in fantastic condition with a slight mark on the LCD panel, i’ve tried to get a pic of it but i can’t – it’s only at one specific angle you can see it at all! 12 months old and bought new from Amazon uk dealer – will include original invoice receipt.
The Camera cost new £300 and the additional bits around £50.

The warranty on this camera is 2 years so still has a year to run.

18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II kits lens (non VR version) – never had the filter off it except for the photo today.

Charger, Box and everything that came with it.

Sandisk Extreme 30Mb/s 4GB memory card.

Hoya UV Filter

Lowepro Altus 140 bag – big enough for some filters and accessories, 2 lenses, and the camera body – barely used and as new condition. £240"

Thoughts??

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
My sigma lens was on my d40x. It's in the for sale section. D.40 is a great way into photography, I love mine.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I'm sure d40 are cheap nowadays , I have the kit lens for sale swell of you needed it. I'm sure I saw one on ebay for 150

Bumder With A Buffer
The one i put above for £240 has apparently done 3040 actuations (taken from EXIF data) I dont know if that is good or bad?? :S

Bumder With A Buffer
Right lets bump this up.

I had the chance to buy a fairly low aperatured D40 just before Xmas (well September time) and bottled out as I had too many things to pay out for in the coming months. Im now kicking myself because it was £200 including a lens :(

Gay.

anyway Im struggling to find a decent D40 at the minute but have come across a D60 for sale with lens for around £240. Is it worth getting a D60 over D40??

Inferno 182 CUP
This coming from the person who has zero idea about anything and has to make 82895 threads before you can make a decision?

i like clarity ..

besides i used a 350D for 2 years before getting my 500D and then ultimately my 50D

Well done. So you just made threads for the sake of it?

Saying you'll 'get a canon at somepoint' is so stupid it's beyond belief.

Inferno 182 CUP
yeh it is fairly stupid because probably it will just happen straight away anyway without thought ..

Canons all the frigging way!

its like saying mac or windows

derrrrrrrrrrrr

Bumder With A Buffer
My mate who has his own photography company (well freelance at least I think) has said he has a "backup" 20D up for grabs..il see what price he wants for it. Price is the factor to be honest. I remember borrowing another mates old canon and for some reason couldn't get on with with. The nikon how-ever i liked using when i borrowed one of them. The Nikon seems cheaper.

Bumder With A Buffer
Right my photographer friend has offered me his Canon 20d for £150 (it's his back-up camera) no idea on aperatures but he said it's probably dome a fair few as he was using during and after uni for shoots). He would also through in a fixed 28mm lens (his other lenses are bloody expensive ones for his work I think).

Should I bite his arm off?? Only thing he said was it might be worth buying a new battery as a backup.

A red missile
yeh it is fairly stupid because probably it will just happen straight away anyway without thought ..

Canons all the frigging way!

its like saying mac or windows

derrrrrrrrrrrr

/facepalm

The more I use CS the more I agree with whoever suggested there should be an intelligence test before being allowed to register.

Looking for 182
The whole Canon vs Nikon debate is so retarded!!

For new photographers asking "Canon or Nikon", the answer should always be "Go to a shop, try them both out, go with which one feels right". Both are used by professionals the world over for a reason.

I'm a Canon man, but I'd never discount Nikon, I just don't know how to use them :p

Right my photographer friend has offered me his Canon 20d for £150 (it's his back-up camera) no idea on aperatures but he said it's probably dome a fair few as he was using during and after uni for shoots). He would also through in a fixed 28mm lens (his other lenses are bloody expensive ones for his work I think).

Should I bite his arm off?? Only thing he said was it might be worth buying a new battery as a backup.

I think that would be a cracking camera to start with and I would highly recommend going for that.

Which 28mm lens is he offering as part of that deal by the way? Starting out with a prime lens would actually not be a bad idea at all. On a crop sensor camera a 28mm lens will be the equivalent of a 45mm FOV, near enough to 50mm which is a great focal length for all kinds of stuff. Being restricted to a fixed focal length should also force you to think a bit more about composition whilst learning. I only own one zoom lens now, which is the 24-70L as it's pretty much essential for the wedding work I do. All my other lenses are primes.

You could also pick up the absolute bargain which is the Canon 50mm 1.8, which costs about £50-60, and is incredible value for money!

Be warned, photography is expensive and extremely addictive!!!

Cupra
I'd be tempted to save a bit longer and get one of the newer generation cameras TBH.

The older ones can still take fantastic shots, but the newer ones will let you get shots that the older ones can't. (High ISO performance, focus performance, FPS etc).

The 20D and D40 bodies should be given away these days, lenses will hold their value for years. Camera bodies always seem to have a minimum price that people want to accept for them before it just isn't worth selling, so take a look at the 400D,450D, 30D, 40D or the Nikon equivalents and see how much more people are asking. There are also more of the the later bodies on the market as the DSLR market took off around that time. More supply = lower price. :)

LOL at the fanboy comments. I know plenty of people who use Nikon and have no plans to move to Canon, and visa versa. It's not because one is better than the other, it just comes down to personal preference and what works for you. Even the new Sony's have very good performance and features going by how my bosses new A55 performs.

Bumder With A Buffer
Anymore input?

If I acquire my mates canon then I am thinking of getting a 18-55mm lens so need some guidance on which one :eek: