ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

D.I.Y colour coding & the 40+ shades of blue.

A slow blue one.
I've started doing some colour coding on some wing mirror shells I bought from the local scrappie, they were in decent nick so I used the guide section on here and sanded, primed, wet sanded.

The moron at Halfords gave me the wrong colour and I only realized after I'd started to spray one of the the shells, the shade wasn't even close but apparently there are a few variations on paint code D48 depending on what year the car is..? Seeing as I fancied the practice anyway I carried on and now one of the shells is complete, albeit the wrong colour. Now I've not sprayed the lacquer on it so would I be correct in thinking I could simply sand the shell back down to remove as much of the colour as possible then just start from the beginning with primer? I figure I'd be okay doing that but thought I'd be best checking.

Last edited:
Yes, just make sure you let it dry properly for atleast 24-48hours, then you wont need to sand it all off, just flat the clear coat and go for there. Dont use halfords from getting paint mixed, just find a decent local supplier, or google someone who will post from a paint code. Alot of renault cars have different shades, due to renault being well "sh*te", but in typical renault style they dont put the shade differences into the paint code, mostly the cars are the correct colour (i.e the right colour), so id start there but with a proper paint supplier.

A slow blue one.
Don't have to tell me twice, been in touch with a place called Auto-paint (heard the name thrown about a lot on here) and got the exact right one. Simply sanded back down, re-primed the shells last weekend and they're drying in the garage until this weekend when I've got the time to wet-sand then paint them.

I know of you guys from off the forum, do you mix the paint yourselves or is there a particular company you'd advise/use?