ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cv joint/driveshaft query

clio sport 172
By doing a bit of research on here I believe Iv got a cv joint gone reasons when I'm on full lock doesn't turn smoothly it hops and judders around instead, just wondering if I'm heading the right way In my diagnosis of the problem?

My 182 does this, I thought it needed tracked but the outer passenger CV joint was missing it's boot and half the grease when I removed the wheel.

Not sorted it yet mind you lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah its quite as easy fix, crack off the hub not, undo the bottom ball joint and track rod end so you can move the hub out to release the shaft whip the shaft out, fit another one.

clio sport 172
It's also when the steering wheel is turned all the way to the right so I'm guesing passenger side shaft as eh eight load on that side

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Normally the other way around as the inner wheel turns further, so if its doing it when maneuvering right, it would generally be the drivers side.

When you say about load, do you mean its happening when cornering at speed? If so its less likely to be the CV joint.

clio sport 172
No can't say Iv noticed it Atall when driving just when on full lock in my driveway and did it other day in multistory carpark going around whith right hand down

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
And by load I thought the weight of the car would be on passenger side

When you are doing 5mph on your drive, there isnt a lot of weight transfer, the fact that one turns a lot further than the other has more of an effect than the slight weight difference.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Im also having this problem. Full lock to the right at low speeds and theres a very loud rattle.

I know that my outer boot is burst and theres no grease left but chip, a quick one for you...

Would this cause a bit of vibration at higher speeds of say 60ish?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Im also having this problem. Full lock to the right at low speeds and theres a very loud rattle.

I know that my outer boot is burst and theres no grease left but chip, a quick one for you...

Would this cause a bit of vibration at higher speeds of say 60ish?

Yes driveshafts can cause a vibration, although wheel out of balance is the most common reason.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Thanks for confirming that. The wheels were all recently balanced when my new tyres were fitted. It seems to be getting worse and worse though :s

clio sport 172
What could it be if I was cornering at speed chip went around a round about earlier and thought I could feel it happen :/

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What could it be if I was cornering at speed chip went around a round about earlier and thought I could feel it happen :/
Wheel bearing, or really bad cv joint or engine mounts if its a phase2 and you run a bit of camber as the shafts are too long.

clio sport 172
Well put the turinis back on and doesn't seem no where near as bad with them on! But I think I'm going to have it looked at as I looked at driveshaft and didn't seem bad at all