ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CV Boot kit - Advice please

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
So the clip around my cv gaiter (drivers side) broke on Saturday, and after spewing grease everywhere it's now held in with a cable tie.

Am I best buying a replacement from Renault? Or buying some Moly grease and a Jubilee clip?

Anyone any experience?

Whilst you're here, I need new top mounts. These will do the trick, though I'm not too sure of the benifits of buying uprated ones (£130 each rather than £30 for standard)

Standard 182 top mounts (will buy 2)
http://renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/products/Renault-Clio-182-Shock-Absorber-Top-Mount-Kit.html

not sure on CV bood advise but on the topmount side of things i've allways said to my self when mine go im gunna get PMS ones as there lovely and can fit a brace to it then :)

Double the price of the mounts you've posted tho but thats my thoguhts :)

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
not sure on CV bood advise but on the topmount side of things i've allways said to my self when mine go im gunna get PMS ones as there lovely and can fit a brace to it then :smile:

Double the price of the mounts you've posted tho but thats my thoguhts :smile:

But what extra do I gain for the extra £100 a mount? Is it £200 worth of benifit? Or could that be spent better elsewhere..?

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
for CV boot kits, get onto J&R on ebay.

CV Boots from £2.99 delivered, or £4.99 including a cone to fit them yourself.
They come with grease aswell.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
If the actual CV boot is in decent condition and isn't split/cracked then you don't need to replace it. I was in the same boat a few months ago when a cable tie came off mine and grease went everywhere. I just packed a load more grease in there and secured it with a jubilee clip rather than a cable tie. As a said, that was a good few months ago and it hasn't leaked since.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
If the actual CV boot is in decent condition and isn't split/cracked then you don't need to replace it. I was in the same boat a few months ago when a cable tie came off mine and grease went everywhere. I just packed a load more grease in there and secured it with a jubilee clip rather than a cable tie. As a said, that was a good few months ago and it hasn't leaked since.

I think for £3.50 I'll just buy a new one, didn't realise they were that cheap

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Outer dude and it's just the metal clip that's fucked, not the boot dude. It has done what all Clio CVs do. Not work.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Outer dude and it's just the metal clip that's fucked, not the boot dude. It has done what all Clio CVs do. Not work.

Cheers Ant. But for the £3.50 cost, I assume it'll work out cheaper buying the unit. Unless they're a PITA to fit?

If they are, I'll buy some grease and a Jubilee clip instead. (Any idea of size for the Clip would be good!)

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Your right, but the kit dude. I have the grease if we need any more.

Sorted - bought the kit. Debated buying 2, but I think I'll just do the one!

Also buying a pair of standard top mounts from RPD.

EDIT: I lied, hadn't bought, just added to basket.

It says inner. Is this definatley the correct one?

RENAULT CLIO MK2 INNER L/H BOOT KIT-GAITER-BOOT KIT-DRIVESHAFT BOOT KIT-BOOTKIT

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Sorry mate I didn't click the link. It's definitely the outer you need, so not that one.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Lol what a mega fool.

Personally I'd throw a load more grease in there and chuck a new clip on it, if you put loads in it might s**t abit more out when you first drive it so don't worry if that happens.

While you're doing it make sure you thoroughly inspect the boot for damage, just incase there is another issue.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Lol what a mega fool.

Personally I'd throw a load more grease in there and chuck a new clip on it, if you put loads in it might s**t abit more out when you first drive it so don't worry if that happens.

While you're doing it make sure you thoroughly inspect the boot for damage, just incase there is another issue.

So these clips, I have read if I stick a Jubilee clip on, it may get caught on something (vague I know). What clip would you use?

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
As said, I used a jubilee clip on mine and trimmed and bent the end so it didn't get caught/tear the boot. Been fine since, a bit fiddly to fit but much more secure than the cable tie that was previously on it.