ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cutting Seat Wiring Loom Back to the Dash?

172 Cup
Hey Guys
I've been searching for an answer to this but cant really find anything

I've got new seats and harnesses on the way so now I have no need for any of the seat wiring loom
Bearing in mind i'm no Electrician...i have a few questions
  • Can i cut the loom back to the dash and bridge the wires explained in this guide with the resistors fitted in a block connector? If so what current rating connector will i need?
  • Does fitting the resistor to the pretensioner wiring also stop the seatbelt light and beep?
  • Are the now rendered useless wires fine just capped off?
Any help would be really appreciated!
Cheers
Rob

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I've gutted mine of all airbag components and had no issues cutting the loom back (I did solder in the resistors though) apart from the side impact sensors and the microswitch on drivers seat fir the tilting mechanism, both of these I had to connect back up and left them in the void where the passenger airbag used to be under the dash.

They've now gone completely though along with all traces of airbag wiring, again with no running issues, just the warning light is on on the dash

172 Cup
Cheers for the reply @Ads29
So basically I should be fine cutting the loom back like I suggested?

@barnesautos Yeah 172 cup for me

Some lunatic previous owner fitted the airbags ecu and seats from a 182 into my car. I think he pulled the airbag light out in the process anyway, but I'm still keen to do a proper Job

So do we think my idea with a block connector would work? Ideally I don't want to solder but can do if needs be

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Ph2's for me as well @barnesautos, well on the outside anyway

I've had no issues ripping mine out @RobBrodie, can't comment on whether connector blocks will/won't work, I've always soldered wherever possible, or used electrical connectors (I'm assuming you're thinking of using the chocolate block style things with brass screw connectors)

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Off the top of my head there's these,

Drivers seat x 3
Pass seat x 2
Seat belt reels x 4
Side impact sensors X 2
Steering wheel
Pass side of dash

I think that's it but will double check for you bud

172 Cup
Ah ok so are the sensors basically built into all of the airbag 'units'?
How are they triggered? Something to do with the angle and get forces pulled? Or am I over thinking this

Back onto the topic, does anyone know if/what block connector current rating I'd need?