ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Customising the stock air filter - Is it possible?

Clio 1.2 - 41k miles
Hello guys, I know I am going to get abuse here but I was wondering if there was any way to modify or change the stock air filter without risking damage to the car. The reason I ask is because my Dad insured my car for himself so we could go out in it, it drove fine and was pretty quick (My Dad who owns a Volvo S80 said it was a nice drive!) But anyway the air filter bit you remove so you can slide in the new air filter came off and when my Dad accelerated my car sounded awesome! Is there any easy way of allowing it to sound like that without risking damage to the car? Please don't be to harsh! :eek:

GW 200 Gone :( BG182
You might get some heatsoak in traffic etc. Plenty of people on here have done it with no probs

Clio 1.2 - 41k miles
I'm not a "dirty chav c**t." but I do want my car to sound awesome, what's wrong with drilling holes in it? What does it sound like?
A lot of people drill holes in the airbox too, it's suppose to sound better
Hey buddy! How are you? I assume you haven't done this?

Clio 182
Hmm Okay sure, is there too much risk involved in doing something like this?

wowser you sound frightened! ;) Its not so much an issue of risk. If you want more noise you can go down the route of uprated panel filters/induction cones. Disconnecting the cold air feed is another way to go but as above, drilling a few holes in the DIRTY half of your airbox can give nice noises too. I cant see any reason why this would damage your car however the simple fact of the matter, is that they are designed the way they are for a reason. Primarily to get as much cold (and clean) air into your engine. Any of the suggested methods of exposing your filter will make it sound louder but will do so at the expense of intake temperatures which as mentioned above, cause heat soak etc... I've just taken a cone filter off my 182 because the rad fan pumped hot air straight into my engine which in summer temperatures makes a noticeable difference. I've gone with a K&N panel filter and one of my two air feeds is missing anyway. Sounds alright but at low speeds it feels like it lacks something.

182 Turbo Project
Just take the whole induction assembly out and put a sock over the throttle body.

FLOL. I would have gone with a carrier bag...

On a SRS note. You can modify the airbox so that you can fit a K&N cone filter inside. Couple this with removing the lower feed would work?

I still stand by the awesomenesesesssess of the Simota Carbon Aeroform I used to run.

It sounded amazing.

Brrrrrap!

Clio 1.2 - 41k miles
FLOL. I would have gone with a carrier bag...

On a SRS note. You can modify the airbox so that you can fit a K&N cone filter inside. Couple this with removing the lower feed would work?

I still stand by the awesomenesesesssess of the Simota Carbon Aeroform I used to run.

It sounded amazing.

Brrrrrap!

I just checked out that "Simota Carbon Aeroform" it sounds awesome! I could try modifying the air box and the K&N thing but I have no idea where to start...

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
LOL :) Stop with the "BRRAAAAPPP!" I'm not a chav - I have long hair and listen to rock/metal! - I just want my car to sound good! Mainly because it sounds absolute s**te at the moment. (Tappets + Old car)

All in there's not that much between chavs and metal heads. You both have s**t taste in music.

(I'm an indie kid *shifty eyes*)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I'm running a K&N and tbh you don't notice the difference in power loss on something so slow anyway. sounds good though. Beats having a stupidly loud exhaust on as it only sounds any different with the pedal to the floor.

I'm running a K&N and tbh you don't notice the difference in power loss on something so slow anyway. sounds good though. Beats having a stupidly loud exhaust on as it only sounds any different with the pedal to the floor.

exactly this, on my 1.4 i had an induction kit and loved it, just a massive cone filter which was perfect. and as said its not exactly a high power car to start off with so not going to really notice anything lost (except petrol monies)

Clio 1.2 - 41k miles
All in there's not that much between chavs and metal heads. You both have s**t taste in music.

(I'm an indie kid *shifty eyes*)

I listen to everything really little bit of Rap, little bit of D n' B and Dubstep as well as rock/metal by the way not screamo just like Avenged sevenfold. Plus we all have our own opinions, what's an indie song that I'd know? :rasp:

2001 Clio 1.2
What part is the cold air feed, is this the tube which connects to the air box itself which can be disconnected easily?