ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Custom lettering on radio display??

Stealth 438'd 182
Is this possible a friend told me you can change this to say what you want somehow..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350917418.020231.jpg

So where it says kerrang.. You can change that apparently..

Whack a CD in there with some blank audio tracks on and name each track what you want to display on the screen then write to disk with itunes and keep write track names ticked. If you want it to display 1 thing only then put it on repeat LOL

Stealth 438'd 182
The guy had an aftermarket HU in it n wasn't on a CD although I like your thinking haha!!

Some of the stalk adaptors for aftermarket HU's come with them, I use to have one. The display will only say that though doesn't list radio / tracks etc (unless you buy the more expensive one)

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Whack a CD in there with some blank audio tracks on and name each track what you want to display on the screen then write to disk with itunes and keep write track names ticked. If you want it to display 1 thing only then put it on repeat LOL

It only displays Track 1, 2 etc not track names.

I'm sure I have seen it with an aftermarket headunit where it just permanently says Renault.

DCI100
The aftermarket head units thats just say renault are the cheaper sony ones and other cheap brands.

They only say renault then all the cd or track info is on the head unit its self i believe.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
It only displays Track 1, 2 etc not track names.

I'm sure I have seen it with an aftermarket headunit where it just permanently says Renault.

the connect2 adapter displays 'renault'. You can also program a PIC uM to make it display whatever you like.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
you would need to make an LCD driver to match the LCD display in the clio. This can be done with 1 PIC MCU (something in the 18F series) and a few 16bit* latches. You will need to program the MCU to store a 14bit value to the latch. its as simple as that really.

Im thinking about doing something similar in mine so will be designing a PCB etc to do the job sometime in the future. Just dont have the time right now :( The one im going to make will also allow me to show other useful things like realtime data like the battery level etc. could probaly get it to listen to the ECU and get some really valueble stuff shon on there as well.

*not sure if the LCD segments in the clio are 8bit or 16bit, if they have diagonal lines then they are 16.

Stealth 438'd 182
Aha simple as that :p I wish I knew what you were on about !!

Might have to get my mate who's an RAF sparky to decipher that ^ see if there is something he can do! If you ever made something like that I'm sure you could sell it for a tidy profit on here :)

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
yeah your RAF guy should be able to deciper that :) I imagin I could make them for around £20. Trouble is with sellign them, I would have to get them CE marked etc. I would just sell them for £30 (£10 for my time), but then if they were to go wrong and casue damage to the car in some way I would be in big trouble :(

5, 19, Integrale, Cupra R
you would need to make an LCD driver to match the LCD display in the clio. This can be done with 1 PIC MCU (something in the 18F series) and a few 16bit* latches. You will need to program the MCU to store a 14bit value to the latch. its as simple as that really.

Im thinking about doing something similar in mine so will be designing a PCB etc to do the job sometime in the future. Just dont have the time right now :( The one im going to make will also allow me to show other useful things like realtime data like the battery level etc. could probaly get it to listen to the ECU and get some really valueble stuff shon on there as well.

*not sure if the LCD segments in the clio are 8bit or 16bit, if they have diagonal lines then they are 16.

That's an insanely complicated way of going about it!

Do you know what lcd driver is in there to start with?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
nope havent had a close look yet. My solution above covers me from all angels in case they LCD driver used is not usable (unmarked etc). If I find that there is a usable driver already there, then great :)

No point starting a new thread for this. I've figured out how to send text to the display, still a long way to go with it as it doesn't work very well at the minute (the display locks up after a few seconds)

2013-01-30202012_zpscfec0dbf.jpg

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
So if you buy an aftermarket headunit with steering wheel control lead adapter the display just says Renault or is blank ?? It wont display track or radio station ?

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
my nokia n900 did this using an RDS transmitter, if you got a text it displayed it, or if someone rang you it displayed their name.
all using the stock HU

my nokia n900 did this using an RDS transmitter, if you got a text it displayed it, or if someone rang you it displayed their name.
all using the stock HU

Did that mean you had to leave the radio tuned into it? What if you were to listen to a cd or different radio station?

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
the Nokia had a 2 way fm transceiver, so you could play any of your own music or the radio through the headunit via the phone.
it would also display track information or radio station.

its the only function i miss changing to the iphone.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
So if you buy an aftermarket headunit with steering wheel control lead adapter the display just says Renault or is blank ?? It wont display track or radio station ?

This is have i have buddy.

I have a pionner HU and the steering wheel control and my display only says "Renault"

Getting somewhere useful now! Sorry for the crap sound, the heater blower is stuck on :rasp:

Last edited by a moderator:
  MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
How have you done that? Tis awesome!

31513_10150193345545077_675963_n.jpg

I have these instead a lcd now, did away with the digital display when i changed the HU
I need to re-seat them properly though.

Last edited:
  '52 Clio 172 2.0 16v
Would be interested in buying one if you could put a volt meter in there as I have crazy audio and like to watch my power consumption? I'd definitely buy one off you pal?

I think I might be able to do that, I'll have to do some testing. I assume the standard radio isn't used?

I have a cheapie obd reader that's hacked about to connect to a microcontroller to read in the rpm value. The microcontroller connects directly to the connecter the radio uses and I've reverse engineered the protocol enough to get text to display

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
That is ridiculously awesome. Any way of displaying multiple streams of data by installing a button to scroll through the modes?

Water temp, Oil temp, revs, volts, e.t.c.

I've managed to read off a few values, I can't get oil temp I don't think.

I'm working reading the stalk commands so you could use them for control but I haven't got anywhere yet.

I have the standard radio so the most important thing for me is to keep that working along side this which is another thing I haven't figured out!

172 Phase II
That is really awesome!!

I've seen this before but not on a clio/renault. Really cool stuff you're doing!

'52 Clio 172 2.0 16v
Well I'm deffo interested in the volt meter bro. So let me know. My head unit is the alpine IVA-d511r if that's any help at all?