ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Currently removing my gearbox - tips please

I was reluctant to make a thread as I've got quite far on my own but im having trouble with the steering rack bolts.

I have the lower 2 out completely, but there just seems to be no room to get either a 16mm socket on the upper bolts, and there is no room to get a ratchet spanner flat enough?

I just got the 2x heatshield nut and bolt out, what a joke the flat one was !

Any help?

After the rack I need to push the starter motor back (at some point) and then just drop the sub frame (and hope the bolts dont spin) drive shaft, battery etc etc is all out.

dan's cast offs.
leave the rack bolted in place. don't bother moving the starter, will just drop back a touch when you pull the box off the engine.

M2 Comp
If you haven't already, try removing the ARB, it should free up some space so you can get to the two upper bolts.

Ill try that tomorrow thanks, packed up today, in theory I either remove the two bolts to keep the steering rack on the car or figure out how to drop the steering rack with the subframe.

Started to pack up have to be out tonight, but I removed the lower steering rack bolts, as said I couldnt get to the upper bolts at the back. I think from this guide:
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/ho...io-182-smi-steering-rack.692648/#post-9471425

I just need to remove the Two 13mm nuts from the front each side then ill be ok. And can drop the subframe after that.

M2 Comp
Not sure on that one mate - I have only ever left the rack in situ.

I'm sure you'll be fine once the ARB is out the way :up:

Would be interesting to know what other people have done to remove those upper bolts though. I would imagine you could even lower the subframe slightly and then undo them...

I know this sounds silly but where is it, when looking at at the top nut of the steering rack from the back I could see a big rubber cover but couldnt see much of a way to get to it.

If letting the pinch bolt go and dropping the rack with the frame, do the steering hoses need to be disconnected and drained? or do you only lower it enough to get the box out?

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
The pinch bolt is under the rubber gaitor you see, it's quite fiddly to get to but certainly a lot easier than un bolting the rack. I don't think you'll need to disconnect any pas hoses.

Thanks, Ill try and find it tomorrow, happy to drop the rack with the subframe, must have to remove the hoses though ? one from the reservoir and one from the pump?

Also seen people having trouble getting the steering rack and column back aligned afterwards? or shouldn't this be a problem.

Volvo S60 T5
I usually undo the 4 bolts for the rack and cable tie rack to exhaust so it stay pretty much in place , top rack bolts you need a flexible head ratchet spanner or a bit of patience with a normal spanner.
You can undo the pinch bolt but lock the steering wheel in place or you may have to reset the steering angle sensor if wheel moves.
Also you may need to undo the two 10mm bolts that hold the heat shield near the rack in place.

Flexible ratchet sounds like what I need I didn't think of that. Will see if halfords is open tomorrow.

And cheers for the tip I will if it comes to it.

Cheers Dan, I'm going to try and remove the top two bolts - I've got so far, will try and cable tie the rack to the exhaust as said above.

It's been a learning curve.

Appreciate the help everyone. Just need the car back on the road as soon as poss but won't rush the process.

Got power flex rack bushes that have been sat in my boot for yonks I'll try and get fitted

Also sump is weeping slightly I might try and sort whilst subframe is off.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
I know how you feel mate, it's definately a learning curve. I stripped and rebuilt the front end of mine last year, a few times was ready to throw the towel in with awkward bolts and annoying problems. Finally finished and I blew the engine so back to the start again lol.

Bought some new tools today, should make life a hell of a lot easier. broke all of my socket adapters during the last few jobs. Have better ones now that arent made of cheese.

Quick question, does the sump need to be supported at all times after the gearbox mount is off? I.e. once the subframe is dropped can I take the support away for a few mins to pull the subframe out of the way? Just making sure.

Lovely cheers, Ill keep it supported underneath the rest of the time, just to drag the subframe out do get the box out ill leave it hanging for a few mins.

Not sure I've got the car high enough off the ground. Can soon change that tomorrow.

How far down do you think it needs to be dropped to get the box out? Ill get the upper rack bolts out as I need to change the bushes on that, then if I can just drop it one side it will make like easier.

Ive read a few people say they couldn't manage it just dropped one side?

dan's cast offs.
slacken the drivers side off and take passengers side bolts out, will give you plenty of room. you only need to pull the gearbox back a bit, no need to take it right out.

Ok sweet.

When you say no need to take it right out... You know Im doing a gearbox swap and not just a clutch change yeah? just want to check, if it comes out just dropped one side, happy days to say the least.

Yes, providing the top mount is in good condition. I try and avoid at all costs really. Leave the gearbox up on the battery tray mount and remove the subframe. It's not left unsupported then.

dan's cast offs.
thought we were talking about gearbox top mount? i was, wouldn't leave one on just top engine mount.

Not sure mate just wires crossed I think.

I meant once the gearbox mount was undone and engine hanging on its mount alone - could the sump support be lost just to remove the subframe out the way.

But I wasn't using my brain and of course if I remove the subframe completely before undoing the gearbox mount I won't have that problem anyway.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I hope the sub frame bolts aren't badly rusted, mine look bad so I've done this instead by taking the engine out (it makes it a breeze to get those two 10mm heat shield bolts out when sat on the subframe).

330i. E30 Touring.
@Dan@SJM

I apologise also BTW. Removed a box from my 182 last night subframe down on one side. Came out so much quicker than out the top. Putting it back in, i might have a bit more fun on the deck tbh.