ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup suspension on a PH2MK2 1.2?

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Basically i can have the full suspension (Springs, shocks, etc) from a cup, for free.

Now as far as i'm aware, They are the same chassis? (apart from wings and stuff)

Im just worried there will be some complications such as rubbing? fitting difficulties? etc, is there anything thats gonna stop me fitting these?

I have never heard of this being done before? so just wondering if anyone knows anything!

Edit:, My car is a 2002 model 1.2 PH2MK2.

Last edited:

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Hub spacing is different, yours should be 52mm but all 172s are 54mm. Measure it as you might be lucky and have a 54mm spacing.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
You've got two bolts connecting the suspension strut to the hub and it won't fit if you haven't got the correct spacing.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Ah i get you, Lame, what are the chances of me having a 54mm?

Il check tomorrow though.

Would it be alright to just put the springs on instead?, would that cause any problems?

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
well was just discussing this with Danno172 who is going to help me, we wont be filing both holes, only the one, prob the top hole, so the whole thing cant slide up and down as its fixed on the bottom one, just need to adjust the top hole to make it fit.

Only thing is, like someone said above, the cup suspension is set up for a car with a heavier engine, if i fit the cup suspension, is it going to stay the same height because its lighter?

Heres the car how it is now.

Image146.gif

Edit: This is an old pic, clear side repeaters and CTR areal now applied!

Last edited:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I can't see there being any major problem Nick. I'd go for the just filing one bolt, the top one preferably...

The easiest way to see if this fits would be by trying it tbh mate, just get one of the front's and go for it. Put one bolt in, and see if its a case of just needing 2mm more to get the other bolt in....

Things to consider is although the sports are set up lower, they are also designed for a heavier engine, so you may not see much/any drop, but there is only really one way to find out.

It'll firm up the suspension nicely though no matter what.

If you do it, make a decent thread out of it.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
As i've said, very hard to tell what it'll do, but it'd be VERY interesting to find out, espec for people with non sports looking to improve handling/ride height as sport suspension often goes cheap on here.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Yeah pretty excited, it will drop when i drop my engine in there! hopefully this year sometime depending on funding!

Coilovers in the end though.

Black Clio GT
if your planning on fitting a bigger engine, would it not be wise to change the hubs/brakes to 172 spec then the cup suspension would fit and you can have better brakes too. or even go for a straight sub frame swap when you change the engine??

if you have big plans be patient...... do it once and do it right.

Handbuilt 172 Cup/ 1.2 8v
interesting thread, hope this info experience helps. regarding a 1.2 8v 52plate

It is my plan to do what you are doing eventually. i have however so far done the rear. from the standard 1.2 set up to complete 172 cup setup. This includes dampers, springs, disks, calipers, rear beam (cup one is stiffer i think as there is like a torsion bar inside the beam length.)

The car at the rear has consequently dropped around 30-40mm. Due to the front not been done yet the car looks like its accelerating whilst stationary, but when the fronts get changed too then the rake of the car will return to something more desirable i hope. If it is still too high at the front, i may perhaps copnsider some eibach springs.

Regarding handling just with the rear end stiffer and consequentally a wider rear track, understeer is reduced by a noticeable amount, i would go so far as to say almost a significant amount. (This is of course what you would expect when stiffening the rear alone)
Under tight cornering on a shi**y bumpy road, the car does not skip out towards the centre of the road half as easily, the front end is much more positive. (car is running factory standard little dunlops)

However again as expected it becomes more like a cup in that lift of oversteer is more easily prevoked esp on adverse camber corners in the damp.

Hope this helps. should only be a matter of weeks b4 i get my fronts changed.
was intersted to read about filing the top hole, makes sense i suppose, saves £120 to get two cup new front uprights.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Thanks for all the input guys, Yeah i will be running 172 running gear, breaks, shafts etc, just not right now thats all.