ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup spoiler fitting

monaco 172
Got my cup spoiler back from the paint shop, they did a fantastic job for 50 quid.

But I can't for the life of me get the thing sitting flush.

I've managed to get it the same height both sides but it feels like it should be a cm or so lower on both edges.

But the hight between the spoiler and roof is perfect so I'm a bit confused.

I even tried it without the washer pipe and brake cables to see if it was those interfering but it wasn't.

Is this how it should be?

Attachments

• 20181222_130429.jpg
    20181222_130429.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 169
  • 20181222_130445.jpg
    20181222_130445.jpg
    648 KB · Views: 166
  • 20181222_130437.jpg
    20181222_130437.jpg
    811.5 KB · Views: 175
  monaco 172
Looks ok to me?
Does it lol?

Maybe I'm just been paranoid.
Need to find somebody local with a cup spoiler and compare.

I almost had a heart attack when the break light didn't work and the last ever one on eBay is up for sale at 200 quid. Luckily the connector to the led strip was corroded so managed to sort it.

Do the mounting screws do up ok or are they loose?

From factory I think they are mean't to be clipped on too but most are broken but would probably help and takes the stress off the screw mountings

As I said in your other Cup spoiler thread always check the brake light and washer before final fit lol

People are fitting LED strips in the housings now the availability isn't there

monaco 172

From factory I think they are mean't to be clipped on too but most are broken but would probably help and takes the stress off the screw mountings

As I said in your other Cup spoiler thread always check the brake light and washer before final fit lol

The screws nip up tight, I didn't want to over do them as like you said it's just a fibreglass thread.

The plug and pipe are definatly out the way and the clips are in tact. Just seems odd how it's sat.

monaco 172

The other thought I've just had is putting the clips into the boot and then dropping the spoiler onto the clips?

They were proofing difficult to clip in the other way.

Most of the time the clips are missing or worn out, mine certainly are.

I would just leave it as along the roof looks good so probably the best it will fit, but I know what you mean it does almost feel very aftermarket and would like to compare with a Trophy spoiler

monaco 172
Most of the time the clips are missing or worn out, mine certainly are.

I would just leave it as along the roof looks good so probably the best it will fit, but I know what you mean it does almost feel very aftermarket and would like to compare with a Trophy spoiler
Well that failed.

Took it back off to find that the clips were knackered anyway as you say. But the bottoms of them appear to be bonded into the spoiler whereas the clips which are on my non cup spoiler are removable.

I've had another go, seems slightly better but I've had enough now, don't want to ruin the threads.

Yes, it does feel a very aftermarket fit, I would like to have a look at a standard cup if there's any local to sheffield/rotherham

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
How are the ends? My cup spoiler sat crap as the ends had been bonded back on at some point. Put a little too much pressure pressing it down and it snapped but then sat loads better!

monaco 172
How are the ends? My cup spoiler sat crap as the ends had been bonded back on at some point. Put a little too much pressure pressing it down and it snapped but then sat loads better!
Ends are completely in tact.

But I think I know what you mean.

It appears that the edges stop it from sitting completely flat. I had thought about grinding them off but don't want to make a bugger of it.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I will grab a picture of mine tomorrow if I remember

monaco 172
Chopped the plugs off today and soldered the wires together, chopped the washer hose off and blanked as I've got rear wiper delete.

Removed the brake light and pulled the wires all the way through to 100% ensure it's not sitting on the wires.

Bolted the spoiler back down, guess what, still higher on the drivers side lol.

Thatl have to do. Looks better than the non cup one, but what a crap fit!

I'm convinced it's the edges stopping it sitting right on that side so I might have a go at grinding a little bit off at some point and having another go but that's it for now, I don't want to ruin the threads on the spoiler

172 Cup
Here’s some close ups from mine to compare...

Attachments

• 9F62BD23-87CA-43DE-AEFF-02DBEF5C5D58.jpeg
    9F62BD23-87CA-43DE-AEFF-02DBEF5C5D58.jpeg
    456.3 KB · Views: 113
  • D20D3A36-A5D5-487B-92DF-AC8D55AF3336.jpeg
    D20D3A36-A5D5-487B-92DF-AC8D55AF3336.jpeg
    502.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 5844D50B-DE34-499F-B0E3-E3AC59FAF499.jpeg
    5844D50B-DE34-499F-B0E3-E3AC59FAF499.jpeg
    495.5 KB · Views: 138
  Clio 182
Just fitted a cup spoiler to my 182FF.
Leading edge slightly rubs back of car roof when opening boot.
Used to cardboard to try and pack it out in direction I needed more space and then did up screws. Still rubs a touch but better.
It was resprayed at some point, so it's just a touch larger than when original.

i might get some clear paint protection stickers (the kind you'd put on a MTB to stop cables rubbing paint off) but would run harder then.
PXL_20230115_190859702.jpg