ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup shocks too long... Wrong or broken?

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
Am putting my car back to standard suspension setup due to needing the car daily again (and getting too old for coilovers daily...) I bought some 182 cup shocks and springs off someone on the forum and they must have been the right ones as I saw the car they came off.. When I offered them up to the car tho they are never going to fit I can't get the wishbone in them as they seem too long... I thought it was just me being dense and thought the only difference if they are wrong is the bolt spacing. Are these just broken?

i have put my coilovers back on and fitted straight away..so confused. Might just buy brand new but want to know what these ones are if wrong.

Lotus Elise
You need to change the front shocks with both front wheels off the floor otherwise you are fighting the ARB. What is the bolt spacing in the shocks you bought.

I had a similar issue when I was putting standard shocks back on my rolling shell (been on coilovers for the past 2 and half years). Even with both wheels off the ground the wishbone/arb needed to be levered down a good 5/6inches to get the bolt holes to line up.

Joah

ClioSport Club Member
I thought this was the case too so put both wheels in the air but didn't lever the wishbone down as it would have had to move a long way, perhaps this is the case!

Car has been on coilovers for years and years so similar issue by the sounds of it.

​Bolt spacing is 60mm so should be correct.

Lotus Elise
I had a similar issue when I was putting standard shocks back on my rolling shell (been on coilovers for the past 2 and half years). Even with both wheels off the ground the wishbone/arb needed to be levered down a good 5/6inches to get the bolt holes to line up.

The ARB and bushes have a spring stiffness that needs to be overcome. Simple with a leaver bar.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah we put a very low coilovered car back to standard and it was polybushed as well. Had been low for 3 years plus we reckon. That took a decent amount of weight on the lever!