ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup shock failed

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Is it usual for cup rear shocks to fail after less than a year and less than 5k?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Ive messaged Adam renault Wolverhampton, Im sure he will sort it. Horrible horrible handling now!

"Navy" N17 TWO
This is interesting

I have front Cup shocks - fitted new in January and Renault "health check" diagnosed one as being week

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Standard but ive had eibach on cup shocks with no probs in the past. Ive just put an old worn but not leaking one on from last summer as i saved them just in case, good decision it now seems. The one i took off left a puddle on my drive while i fitted the new one.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Also an interesting observation, i compared old to new and the old one when compressed went down a full inch further, so would that indicate one isnt a cup shock. Grey/yellow circular sticker on my new but fooked 'cup' shocks, old ones worn off?

"Navy" N17 TWO
The noise in my front left is something uncalled for - and everything is fresh apart from engine & rack mounts!

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Does my above description of my shocks explain anything, i thought cups had different stickering?

Your bluey-grey/yellow sticker is the correct cup shock. It should be part number 8200681125. The thing you say about it not compressing to the same amount as the old one is more likely to be a result of it being broken, it probably wasn't doing that when it was new.

By the way, I'm on my fourth pair of rears! They can start to leak after very little use in my experience, as little as 5k miles - yes! They are shockingly bad (like that pun). I'm not sure if its because of hard use on track or not though. Its probably no coincidence that its about a week or so after a trackday that I noticed my last pair, when only two months old, began leaking. Both sides within a few days of each other! And the pair before that had one develop the same shorter-travel (stopping with a "clunk) and a big leak, like you describe above, at just over a year old. That had been shortly after a couple of track days too. Touch wood my current pair has lasted a bit longer....but I haven't been on track yet this year!!!

Last edited:
  2004 Gordini 182
Think mine are knackered as well.

the back end feels very 'loose' when going around a corner.

are the cup rear shocks different to non cup models?

very slightly different for 182's, yes. Well, there are separate part numbers for cup and non-cup if that tells you anything.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Thanks Kev, that puts my mind at rest. I think mine had been going for a while explaining a few cornering issues, but once it had left a puddle it was really bad(not as bad as my girlfriends 1.2 RL when the weld snapped on the hub end however)

My old shocks cant have been bad when i changed them as the one i put back on feels fine.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Not sure why one of my shocks were diagnosed as being weaker than the other - seems fine to drive and passed MOT ok.

Got another good look for my noise and a metal sleeve from Powerflex wishbone bushes is rubbing the subframe - sprayed some grease in there and gave it a tap with a hammer. No noise :)