ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup Racer Style Brake Ducts...

Trophy #473
Gauging interest with this at the moment so CS feedback would be great!

Im currently designing a pair of Cup Racer style brake ducts that can be used without having to remove the fog light brakets making them ideal for people who would want to revert to standard in the future.
At the moment I dont have any finished product photos as they are still very much in the prototype stage but they are constructed from Fibreglass and finished in black. They are vitually identical to the cup racer design but the apature for the CAF is slightly smaller and at a different angle (due to the existing brakets in the bumper).

Genuine cup racer ducts are circa £130 and from doing a little reserch they dont seem to fit all that great and your bumper has to be cut about for them to fit (not a problem if car is track based).

I am designing these so they will fit like a OEM part utilzing the existing bolt holes for the fog lights. They will come with all fixing brakets and bolts. These will not come with CAF tubes or deflector plates but I have something in the pipe line, if response is good, that will be sold as a complete brake cooling package... but this will follow later when I have photos.

Price is TBC once I have sorted costs etc but I am wanting them to be, circa, half the price of genuine ducts. This will be for a Pair of Ducts with brakets/bolts at first, then followed by a compete kit.

If interest in them is pretty positive I can organize a group buy with decent discounts or the first batch at a knocked down price.

(FOA the *****s, yes, they can be make in Carbon Fibre at extra cost)

Thoughts.

NathanH

Rusty Cup
ive always thought there could be a better way of directing the air onto the disk rather than a bent piece of metal which i appreciate is functional but lacks a bit of engineered finesse imo.

Trophy #473
Cool cool, What I have in mind with regards to deflector plates is something like this:

duct.jpg

I dont want to over engineer it too much tho.

Trophy #473
Im going to get the front ducts finished and ready first then look into the inner ducts to see what space Ive got.

Track 172cup
will keep an eye on this mate as i was going to be looking into doing something similar myself for mine in the near future

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I'm interested too. Been thinking about these for a while and was thinking of making my own, so will be interesting what you come up with and how much. This might save me some time and money!

Trophy #473
Right, a few quick photos of the design molds:

Took this mold to make sure the duct fits inside the fog light area perfectly. I will be making a reverse mold of this to give me my base from which I will build up the scoop and outer cup. Surface finish isnt important... hense the cling film.

Image004.jpg

Image005.jpg

more to follow :)

Trophy #473
Only a quick update:

This will be the base of the duct (the part that fits in the oem fog light area) from this I will build up the rest of the part... I could have purchased some genuine ducts and modified them to fit then take the mold... but that would be too easy... cant beat building something from scratch!?

600gsm wet lay fibre glass (red parts are from the original mold gel coat...didnt cover it in enough release agent, wont be making that mistake again :)

Image004-1.jpg

Nathan

182 FF
Looks really good, will definately be interested in these. Especialy if it requires no cutting etc of surrounding parts so the car can be put back to standard.

Trophy #473
Sadly I havnt finished the ducts yet as a member has asked me to knock up a quick single skin valver bonnet for his car so this has taken priority, sneeky pic of the mold...

Image008.jpg

And yes that is a Williams roof in the back ground ;)

Trophy #473
If there is a market for them then I will :)

For now the only mk1 stuff I'll make are bonnets and roof skin, theres more of a demand for Mk2 stuff at the moment tho.

Trophy #473
Sorry about the delays, will start cracking on with the ducts, had a short deadline with the bonnet so needed to get it done asap.
Mk2 FG bonnet... about £150.

Quick pic of the inner mold of the bonnet, was very quickly made and i'll only use it once as it was a one off.

Image009.jpg

Last edited: