ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup gearbox in a FULL fat 172? Good mod??

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
A few weeks ago my gearbox gave out leaving me with a massive dent in my wallet.
Ive a mate who works at Renault and with His discount a new gearbox is £1531 or jus the part on its own is £781.
I searched high&Low and manged to buy a 2nd hand box off ebay. Although taking a huge risk when buying 2nd hand car parts i was happy to pay jus £215!
Now on checking with my mate at Renault/another tuning company that the serial numbers are slightly different and its a reconditioned box! Its listed as done 37k but that figure has come from the car so it could of not long been fitted.........possibly.
On opening it at the garage ive discovered a massive result-its got a speedo drive which im told means its come out of a cup originally and will excellerate quicker.
Has anyone tried it or think the difference will be noticable?

del

2004 Clio Cup 172
i would of thought they were the same boxes too! can ur m8 find out from renault as it would put a lot of uncertain minds like mine at rest too?

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
The 2nd part of the code off the gearbox is different which renault say it will have different gear ratios. Although another renault tuner say if it has a speedo drive its a cup gearbox which means it should excellarate quicker,mine being a full phat 172 doesnt have a speedo drive.
Im only going by what two different people have told me!

Del- this renalt tuner says the garboxes on th cup&mine are different and that one reason why they excellarate quicker? My top end wont be as high as before but it will get there quicker.
Jus wondered other ppls theory on this?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Whats the code?

Afaik there are 4 1*2 Boxes in existance.

172 Ph-1 (best box)
172 FF
172 Cup Same as above with mechanical speedo due to lack of abs
182 Box.

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
My mate at renault looked up my reg and told me my gearbox code is JCS S130, Whereas the code on this gearbox is JCS S087 &according to the guy in the parts dept there he said it WILL fit but the ratios will be different.

del

2004 Clio Cup 172
tidy, was jus wondering so that when my mates with 172/182's non cup start jibbin bout havin leather seats xenons etc i can use that against them lol :approve:

172 A Cupwork Orange™
tidy, was jus wondering so that when my mates with 172/182's non cup start jibbin bout havin leather seats xenons etc i can use that against them lol :approve:

Just tell them they drive a womens car rather than a drivers car :rasp: for all the ff drivers dont take it to heart just messing im not looking for a debate lol

every time i get out the cup i feel like i'v done a rally stage due to its rawness lol

"awaits the backlash" :lolup:

VaVa
The ratios are the same!! The only difference is the speedo drive as Tom has already said!!!!

Although he's wrong about the ph-1 box. Gears are tooo looooong imho.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
I thought the cup box was coded as JC5 129?

Did you get my text James about martin, sent you 2 messages, phones been playing up though

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
Well id like to report since getting my car back last nite it definately feels quicker!
Soon find out,im going santa pod tomorrow ;)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Whats the code?

Afaik there are 4 1*2 Boxes in existance.

172 Ph-1 (best box)
172 FF
172 Cup Same as above with mechanical speedo due to lack of abs
182 Box.

So

Mk1 172 JC5 089
Mk2 172 JC5 129
Mk2 172 Cup JC5 087
182 JC5 130

129 an 087 retain the same ratios.

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
:S JC5 130 is listed as a 182 box
Mine was quite a late 172 although it didnt have cruise control-i was told on aome of the late 172s they had cruise control or is that incorrect.
Its definately much better, feels more responsive and pulls away alot quicker.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
If its pre 2003 aug shut down i doubt it had the JC5 130.

But you never know, but i have a feeling its a placebo effect mate.

A4 oil burner !!!
True but if his gearbox was playing up b4 it packed up his newish one will no doubt feel quicker smoother etc

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
yeah maybe. Jus got back from the pod but it was a complete washout so never got any runs in :(