ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cup brakes in wet = brown pants

Clio Dci

has any one else found the brakes in a cup very very easy to lock up in the wet.

banjoed my cup on the way to work this morning, everytime i touched the pedal it locked up. where i had the crash is notorious for being slippy so i left extra space.

didnt help when the woman got out of the car i hit, had a belly like rab c fecking nesbit. she was eight months pregnant, thought so was going to have it there and then.

sh*t happens but at least no one was hurt, just hope she does not claim whip lash for her and the sprog.

:(

Not good, hope she and baby are ok. :( And your car??

Glad I got ABS, sounds like no fun in the rain without them....

ABS is useless if there is no grip on the road (a la ice, oil etc) - it has to have a surface to grip on so, if theres no grip, it just assumes that youve stopped as theres nothing trying to make the wheels turn!

(If that makes any sense at all!)

I dont drive fast in the wet no matter what car im in and if you think ABS is going to save u in any situation you WILL come to a sticky end.

how are the tyres looking and what tyres are they, as I have had a few probs with the contis on my cup...

/y0z

Also had a knock - stopped just in time - was accelerating and didnt see the traffic ahead but the brakes locked up for about 50 yards!!! CADENCE...............anyone!

The Cup is very skittish in the wet, i noticed it squirms about a lot under braking. Best thing to do is just realise the limitations and just slow down whenever the heavens open..

-Rob

Quote: Originally posted by White16valver on 20 June 2003

ABS is useless if there is no grip on the road (a la ice, oil etc) - it has to have a surface to grip on so, if theres no grip, it just assumes that youve stopped as theres nothing trying to make the wheels turn!

(If that makes any sense at all!)
Does not work like that... On any surface you can stop quicker with ABS as there will always be some friction. It does not assume you have stopped as ABS works by seeing if the rear wheels are spining. If they are rotating and the fronts are not then it takes off the break and re applys it hundreds of times a minute faster than any human can.

Mine was absolute sh*t, i put false belief into it a couple of times and came millimetres from crashing on both occasions.

VW Potato

mine was hopeless in the snow, so I reverted to none ABS braking strategy; cadence braking and/or not letting the wheels get to the point where they lock. Far better than relying on the ABS.

g

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

it says in the owners manual its the ESP you have to turn off on snow and ice other wise the car wont go anywhere

For snow and ice you are better off using a combo of engine braking and very gentle footbrake. Cars have gears to slow you down as well as speed you up !

ABS deffo doesnt work on sheet ice - without the road surface to force the tyres to turn, theres no reason for the brakes to unlock and re-lock as they would in ABS. Youre probably right about the back wheels still moving making the front ABS work thing, but on a sheet of ice (think frozen lake with no snow, just ice), the chances are you would just lock up and sliiiiiiiide into what you were braking for!

In the snow, ABS is pants too - the reason being that if you lock up, the snow builds up around the front of the tyres, acting like a wedge to slow you down. With ABS, you end up rolling over this wedge so your braking distance is greatly increased.

Dont forget, ABS isnt designed to stop you quicker, its designed to make you able to keep control and steer round an object should you need too!

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

I thought ABS cars have to stop quicker than there non abs equivelent by law??

VW Potato

not heard that it was required by law, but the point is true that its designed to help you swerve and steer, assuming your speed and steering inputs havent caused you to break traction before you applied the brakes.

g

ABS is really designed as a safety feature... All I know is I can really brake hard in the dry and rain and the abs kicks in and I can stop a hell of a lot sooner.... dont care what anyone says I think its a must...

Yes, as G says the best thing is it allows you to steer and brake, probably your first two reactions would be to slam on the brakes and swerve, abs allows you to do this (relatively) safely. Its stopped me crashing once so far, so im definetly grateful for having it!

-Rob

VW Potato

although....according to Autocars Steve Spackhead, a professional driver in the dry in a none ABS car, will pull up sooner in a straight line than a prof driver in the dry in an ABS car. Of course this is straight line/proff driver stuff etc etc and is that relevant on the road.

g

Give me discs to fill 17s a set of 4 pots and I would stop quicker than a ABS car too.... But we are not on a race track and we never know if there is going to be a slight puddle, leaves anything really that would effect braking.

I dont read autocar im just saying from my own experience... I can stop quicker with abs than without mainly is because I cant release the brake and reapply as quick as my computer does....

VW Potato

dont get me wrong Steve, I fully and totally agree with you that for 99.9% of drivers in 99.9% of driving incidents, ABS is an absolute God-send. I can live without it, but given the choice, Id would rather have it than not have it. So I do agree with you.

g

tut tut, i remember Steve saying that ABS was good for the majority of the nation, it was a reader who wrote in who said that. Naughty Gino.

-Rob

VW Potato

not so fast with your naughties, Mr Fenn.

Mr Sutcliffe has previously stated that a prof driver/non abs/dry straight line etc...will stop quicker, but he does conceed that for most other mortals, ABS is a must. And mines a pint ;)

g

Quote: Originally posted by Scudetto on 20 June 2003

not so fast with your naughties, Mr Fenn.

Mr Sutcliffe has previously stated that a prof driver/non abs/dry straight line etc...will stop quicker, but he does conceed that for most other mortals, ABS is a must. And mines a pint ;)

g

Thats what i said with the words re-arranged!

Of course a professional driver could stop quicker than Mr Bloggs in his ABS equipped car. I would like to think man still has the edge over machine.

-Rob

VW Potato

Rob - if you re-arrange/swap a cats limbs with those of a horse, you must forgive people for not being too sure what type of animal they are now looking at. :D

g