ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CTR EP3 or 197 for £7,000?

As above, which is better for around £7,000?

Having looked around, the CTR's for that money you can pick up a facelift model on relatively low mileage.

The 197's are generally higher mileage and non-cups etc

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
I personally prefer EP3's, and as you say you can get a mint EP3 for that price where as the 197 might be a bit leggy and higher miles.

I also believe the EP3 would hold it's value better when coming to sell, Honda's don't seem to depreciate all that much even with moon miles!

Disastra Coupe
It's as you say really. Depends on what you want... The only way you can really make your mind up is go look at some and have a drive.

Would you be willing to put up with a slightly higher mileage car to own a Clio? Or does the low miles matter to you that much?

R27 191/500
test drive both and that should give u a good idea, i cant comment on the honda but the 197 is fantastic allways puts a smile on my face

Stripped yozza'd cup
Trophy with some money left would be my choice. The only 197 I would spend serious money on would be an R27

MKV GTI
some would say 7 grand on a clio is ridiculous.... not so much on a Honda.

If it were my money id save up a little bit longer and get either an R27 or a white 197 cup with recaros, speedlines etc.

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
JDM ep3 for 7k? Going to have LUNAR miles on it.

JDM ep3's are way too overpriced, fact.

Golf 7R
After driving both I'd quite happily own either, but if I were to choose out of the 2, I'd take the 197 based purely on exclusivity.

Clio 1970000000
I'd take the 197 based purely on exclusivity.

This ^^^^^^^

I have owned both and they are both great cars. My 2 pence worth is this; the CTR and 197 will be of a similar age but the EP3 is at the end of its life whereas the 197 is the beginning of the Mk3 clio. Rareity is guarenteed with the 197 and that is worth a lot (not necessarily financially). Both are good drivers cars. Drive them both first though.

SchwepTek™
Been having the exact same thoughts lately. Went to view a CTR last week and wasn't impressed. Boring to say the least and looks like a standard car. (in fact has the same bumpers as the type S?)

So 197 is my choice but having a Trophy might be another option.... haha

Mini Cooper S
I own an ep3 and a previous owner of a R27, ep3 all day long for me but it would have to be an R27 if you wanted to go for the Clio.

keo

Clio Trophy
i havent driven a 197 but i had a type r, i hated it. The engine and gearbox were realy good but just the numb well non exsistent steering feel let it down for me. Imo Trophy over a CTR just go out and try them and see what you think

Clio 197
My 197 has done 87k and still feels remarkably strong and well built. True, the interior hasn't worn quite as well as our 2005 75k Honda (CR-V) but for French clutter it has done much better than I had expected. IMO the EP3 is a bit dated, but £7k would nearly get you into a leggy FN2 wouldn't it? I drove an 80k FN2 at the beginning of the year and was very impressed, aside from the lack of a rear wiper.

I've driven both, I liked how well built the CTR felt, felt quick, nice comfortable place to sit in.

Then drove a 197, the steering was on a whole different level, was also a nice place to sit in with the toys such as climate control etc.

I'm just massively indecisive!

MINI-R32-integrale
I have both a Trophy and a EP3 CTR Premier Edition. Totally different cars. My Trophy feels much more incisive to drive, very pointy, though I do run -1.8degrees camber at the front with 10mins toe out and Koni adjustable dampers rear, Mark Fish springs, KTR solid top mounts and a Whiteline AntoRoll bar, so not exactly standard.

The CTR being a Premier has the same Recaro Trendline seats as the Trophy though the seating position is much better, red JDM carpet, MOMO steering wheel and some will fall into the £7K mark, not many, as Premier's hold their values well but some.

As a package to start with it's not as pointy as the Clio, though its very sensitive to geometry. With the addition of Eibach front camber bolts (£20), some adjustable rear top arms (Eibach, D2 etc etc (£80-130) and a JDM rear anti-roll bar (22mm V's 18mm & only £120ish) running -1.5degrees front -1 rear with 10mins toe out front and either parallel or 10mins toe in the car comes alive, much more pointy, less understeer and improved steering sensation.

The weight of the steering on facelift models is good, just a little numb on dead ahead, but EPS systems are only just about getting up to hydraulic systems levels of feel. Drive a car with no power assistance and you will think anything with assistance is poor.

The gear change is very slick, though my Trophy has a very different change now having short shift and the 'stiff shift' kit from yanoo making it very positive. The engine is very good, very responsive with cable throttle body, and on facelifts lighter flywheel. Fitting the inlet manifold from an Accord Type-R, induction, exhaust and Hondara ECU should get 225bhp if not more, so has potential.

I really like both cars, but very different animals. I’ve not driven a 197 so can’t compare.

Get a DC5 integra over the civic type r any day if you choose to go the honda route. If I was you i'd get a 197 and put a "vtec this *middle finger*" sticker on it in your case lol.

A SHED!
JDM ep3 for 7k? Going to have LUNAR miles on it.

JDM ep3's are way too overpriced, fact.

Seen as i have one mate. i know you can get one w/o lunar miles on it for that price, and they aint overpriced, they are rare though. To the original op, mileage isnt everything, if a car has been looked after it can be better cars with half the mileage owned by a negelecting owner.

I was in the same boat as you mate (bit more cash right enough ;)) and i drove the 197 first.
Didnt even need/want to drive the EP3! Knew straight away that the 197 was for me!

197 FF Glacier White
7 grand on a breadvan? Seriously?

This! What a seriously ugly car the CTR is! Don't get me wrong, quick car for what is basically a small people carrier but it just looks really wrong! I drove a few as I was considering getting one as my track car but even as a track car, I couldn't live with the looks! New one looks great, I couldn't tell when I drove one, but it's apparently not as good, felt alright to me.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I actually quite like the EP3 facelift, Cosmic grey or NHB for me..... I did have this problem a few years ago, i went 197, the EP3 felt dead tbh. That said i would have one to free up some cash over a 182 i think. The 197 is rare, not very often you see one which is a good thing imo. Also EP3's are falling into the local chav circles round here :(

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Looked at a Corolla Compressor?

Bit more exclusivity than a 197

I heard they were s**t to drive in comparison, but also that it was unfair to compare them.

But since you already did, I heard they were s**t to drive in comparison :rasp:

Astra Twintop
I heard they were s**t to drive in comparison, but also that it was unfair to compare them.

But since you already did, I heard they were s**t to drive in comparison :rasp:

Hearing what others think isn't everything................

If the OP wants to mooch around mine, im in Southampton, see he is from Hampshire too.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I would do neither. I just made this decision with a similar amount cash you have. I went for a 182 and I'm currently speeding the change on modding It and getting the car how I want it.