ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cruise wiring at squib.....

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I'm thinking of retrofitting cruise on a 172 with an aftermarket steering wheel. Does anyone know if I can I pick up the appropriate steering wheel connections from the loom behind the squib so I don't have to change the squib to a cruise one?

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I was thinking my car’s ecu already had the signal :pensive:.

Any way of telling?

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Mine’s a JC130 without speedo drive, so speed from abs?

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
So I’m gonna have a nosey behind my squib for some spare wires 😅

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Just reviving this thread now I’ve made more progress.....I have everything sorted including clutch switch, replacement esp/cruise/limiter on/off panel, and I’ve got the dash is displaying cruise “set speed” etc.

I’ve wired up 4 buttons with the appropriate resistances to control speed +\-/resume/cancel - but now I just need to connect these up! They won’t be steering wheel mounted, so I don’t need a cruise control squib.

So somewhere behind the squib should be a loom with the two cruise control wires. Any idea what colour the two wires I’m looking for are, and if they are bundled together on another connector? Any help greatly appreciated :up:.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
For anyone who’s interested (apart from me :grinning:), the two cruise wires from the ecu terminate at the same plug as the steering wheel airbag wires. So I tapped into these (purple and black) and have successfully got cruise working without changing the squib :up::cool:.

FBBB4B45-2056-425A-983D-3F5A7DB57D01.jpeg

E959448E-65F9-4599-AAA9-F9BD5644C991.jpeg

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
sorry, thought i'd replied and said they were there.
Lol! That’s funny if you’re kidding, and even funnier if you’re not :laughing:!

Anyhow, if anyone in the future finds this thread because they need the info, I’m gonna look like a hero :tonguewink::smile:.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
It’s so obvious now, but I swear I had loom dyslexia all day :weary:🙈

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Cruise control is operated by putting 12v into one of the pins on the ecu, you then have those two wires which depending on resistance make the ECU do different things. 4 buttons work from the two wires.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Cruise control is operated by putting 12v into one of the pins on the ecu, you then have those two wires which depending on resistance make the ECU do different things. 4 buttons work from the two wires.
I knows :wink:. I’ve made my own set of buttons with appropriate resistances based on your guide I believe :cool:, so thank you :up:. I’m gonna mount them in the panel alongside the esp/cruise/dimmer switches.

So reviving this, because I want to do the same thing...

I only need to enable cruise and have the speed hold function really so where do I need to feed 12v and what resistance do I need to switch accross the two wires shown?

Thanks