ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cruise control fault

1Berg2
Now I know that there's loads of these threads already, but I've had a good nose around and can't quite find the answer the I'm after.

I recently retrofitted cruise control to my car after seeing what other people had used to do so, so I've fitted the dash switch, cruise squid, clutch switch and steering wheel buttons, but the only thing I get on my display is 'SET---', and even when moving no speed is displayed.

The green light and orange speed limiter lights do work however.

The steering wheel buttons don't seem to do anything.

Any suggestions/advice will be much appreciated!

Could this just be simply a plug which needs plugging in, or is it going to be slightly more complicated?

02 Iceberg 172
Not trying to be funny, but you did plug in the clutch switch yeah? IIRC you can use the speed limiter without the clutch switch being fitted/plugged in, but not cruise - so see if you can get the speed limiter to work. The steering wheel buttons should work for that as well to enable you to set the speed. If you can get the speed limiter working then I would say the issue is with the clutch switch - either not plugged in or a dodgy switch...

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
What UCH have you got on your car, N2 or N3?

I suspect that the UCH needs configuring but a quick session on CLIP will confirm or deny this as well as rule out button faults.

Mick

1Berg2
Cheers Mick I had suspected that might be the case.

Is there a way if finding out if it's N2 or N3 without clip?

Will clip be able to get it to work?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You can find out what level UCH you have by looking at the sticker on it.

CLIP can only tell the hardware what to do If it is capable however I don't believe an N2 can run cruise control though.

It could turn out that the problem is withy the dash loom also not having the lines from the wheel to the UCH or have you added these yourself also?

Mick

02 Iceberg 172
Not that I am questioning you Mick as you are are WAAYYYYY more knowledgeble than I about Clio's, but I was under the assumption that if you have the wiring/plug behind the light dimmer/esp panel and when you plug in the cruise/limiter switch the cruise light comes up on the dash and SET on the odo - that you are pretty much good to go with the cruise install?

1Berg2
This was my thinking. /\ I had the clutch switch plug and the plug next to the esp switch.

I've had a tinker this afternoon, and it turns out that when the car is running and i switch cruise on, there's no power coming through to the switches on the steering wheel.

This leads me to believe there's no wiring for it.

Is it possible to add it in?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Normally yes, if you have the wiring the infrastructure is there but it's not a cast iron rule and different equipment needs different hardware to make it work.

Ideally it needs diagnostics to be able to see what the controllers are seeing (in the case the UCH and ECU)

02 Iceberg 172
This was my thinking. /\ I had the clutch switch plug and the plug next to the esp switch.

I've had a tinker this afternoon, and it turns out that when the car is running and i switch cruise on, there's no power coming through to the switches on the steering wheel.

This leads me to believe there's no wiring for it.

Is it possible to add it in?

Did you get used bits for the cc install, like a second hand squib ring? Is it possible that the wiring is damaged somewhere and that isn't getting power to the steering wheel buttons?