ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

creaking steering

1998 BMW e46 323i

hello chaps, this is my first post on this forum, so please be kind...

I bought a sport 172 Mk II 2002 about 2 weeksf ago -before I bought the car I noticed a noise, the vendor said hed been told it was a cv joint. I didnt think it was a cv joint; maybe even a universal joint, anyway I was more than happy to knock him down a couple of hundred quid - Since then Ive done 850 miles in the car; commuting and work use.

The noise is occurs when the clutch is let out, as drive is taken up/sent to the wheels - a clunk - And now Im getting a creak when turning the steering wheel at low and medium speeds, which seems to be more noticeable with the windows closed.

Other than that the car is superb - Fast as fook, and handles well. Its just like when I got my last car, BMW 320i: everyone comments how nice it is!

On another note - how noisy are these cars at speed? Mine seems very noisy, is this a combination of tyre noise (17" low profiles) and engine/exhaust - or are other peoples no noisier than any other car?

If anyone can shed any light on any of the above questions Id really appreciate it.

Thanks, John

Sounds like it could be the suspension strut top mount. Its a common fault.

There is a fix for it that renault will do under warranty, assuming it has got some warranty left.

Unfortunatelty mine had the fix done 3 times and even then it started again slightly just before i sold it.

I;m sure someone will come up with some other possibilities but the problem you have described sound very much like the problem i had.

Do a search on here for 172 knocking there are a few posts about the problem.

Hope this helps

Dan

1998 BMW e46 323i

Cheers Dan. Its out of warranty but my mate works for renault, allbeit 200 miles south of me...

Does anyone else find the 172 in standard form noisy at speed?

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

My 16v was making creaking and clonking noises when turning at low speed, it turns out the lower ball joints were knackered.

Got them done this and its fine now (apart from the gearbox! LOL!)

James

1998 BMW e46 323i

Thanks for that James, thats not too complex a job is it really... Hope it is something so simple!

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

No dead easy.

Mine didnt last long, I replaced them after about 4k!

I put that down to the 17s and being lowered. Loads more stress on these sorts of parts.

Good luck

1998 BMW e46 323i

Mines standard other than the 17s,.. Didnt effin want the wheels in the first place! Just couldnt find a full fat MkII better than this one for the money and without travelling 130 miles for a viewing....

Cheers buddy