ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Creaking Steering, Brakes sound like a train

When i turn either way there is like a creaking/knocking sound when not moving, its still there when you move off. Also im having to turn a bit more than i feel i did before.. maybe its just nerves but it doesnt feel all that glued to the road.

when braking it sounds like a train going along. it slows but not very sharp.. all in all the car just feels ****e and doesnt go in a straight line..

the wheel bearing was a bit noisy but not as bad as ive heard them.

it also has a bit of play , i can roll the front wheels back slightly when its parked with the handbrake on.

rung the father cos hes flogged car bits all his life.. thought it could be ball joints and maybe driveshafts..

any ideas before i take it to the garage tomorrow morning?

Please elp!!

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
driveshafts?

u can roll the front wheels back slightly with the handbrake on? the handbrake is only braking the rear wheels so not quite sure what you're saying.

Noisy wheel bearings should be fixed, regardless of if you've heard them noisier before or not.

If its not braking like it used to, then its possibly needing new discs/pads.

Driveshafts should be fine at a guess, its normally the CV joints that go, but i think we can safely rule that out judging by the description.

Could well be ball joints, but to be honest it doesnt sound like only one thing causing it.

You didnt mention what car it is.

sorry mate.. its a 1995 1.4rt

awful description i know..

its just rattling when turning and feels really slack.. could it just be ball joints / cv joints?

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
get a wheel bearing if its at all rough, check the discs & pads. thouroughly check the steering/suspension
poss, tie rod(track rod) end, steering rack-excess play or suspension top mount/bearing....or even a broken spring/knackerd (leaking) damper

Went to the garage... heres the damage

Needs:

Strut-top bearing,
2 wheelbearings,
2balljoints.
£140

On top of that problems i know about

Breaks replacing. pads and discs and calipers maybe
in need of new gear linkage
2new tyres
1 new bonnet

Lovely.. thank god ive got next week off.. car shopping i think..