ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

crazy or not?

if i ever do get enough money to spend on my car i was wondering if anyone has tuned a 1.2 8v engine. by this i mean new cams, pistons, rods, itb's, uprated leads and plugs, matched manifolds and some headwork. i am guessing most opf this would have to be made to fit as i have never seen any cams or itb's but i think it could work and at the end of the day stay as a 1.2. anyone think is possible or should i just drop in an rsi lump or 5 turbo engine? this will have to be in a years time when my premiums have lowered as insurance isn't kind on new drivers and cars

ST
Save up n drop a more powerful engine in or buy a faster car...i'm not digging your idea or 1.2's but you have to be realistic mate, cost would out weigh perfermance no end..

C63 PP,R1,,Clubman
Crazy mate if you wana faster car buy a faster car thers no point in doing all that to a 1.2, itl cost a fortune and wont be easy to sell.

just thought it would be different because watching the berg cup alot of the polos are only 1300cc so i thought it could be done witha renault but yes i will save up and hope for the best

if i ever do get enough money to spend on my car i was wondering if anyone has tuned a 1.2 8v engine. by this i mean new cams, pistons, rods, itb's, uprated leads and plugs, matched manifolds and some headwork. i am guessing most opf this would have to be made to fit as i have never seen any cams or itb's but i think it could work and at the end of the day stay as a 1.2. anyone think is possible or should i just drop in an rsi lump or 5 turbo engine? this will have to be in a years time when my premiums have lowered as insurance isn't kind on new drivers and cars

You won't get enough most lilky ever to do a full project jobbie on the engine.

ANd for the gains its just not worth it bigger cc is much better.

Bin the 8V head 16v for starters anyway its a straight bolt on.

Cams have been done for best power you'd want some custom grinds from blanks otherwsie £150 or so piper do regrinds of your own I think.

Drop a Williams engine if you've a Mk1 or a 172 if you've a Mk2 for simplicity.

Rb 182
As said above, bigger engine is the better option.

If you want a bit better performace just now then stripping the interior and uprated brakes, suspension and tyres would all make the car quicker point to point.

ye i wanna either drop an rsi or renault 5 turbo because of the power gains just fort it would be a first to have a powerful 1.2. yes it is a mk1 phase 3 but it will do me for now until i have got my first year out fo the way. already got buckets, rims, lowered, dvd and sub and am off for a face-drop by putting mk1 phase 1-2 angel eyes and valver bonnet onto it which i think would look cool

Last edited:
  182BG
save your money and wait till you can comfortably insure a more powerful car. In the mean time just do what dave said :)
and start with getting that sub removed - slows the car down ;)

RenaultSport 197
Haha. Don't waste your money mate, get a 182 or 172 FF!! I know I would!!

You pump all that money into it to get a performance of a 1.4 or 1.6, just not worth it IMO. I was gonna do the same with my 16v - Stick lots of money into new cams, belt, pistons etc.. etc.. and decided that I wouldn't get much out of it and it still wont be nearly as fast as a 182 or 172!!

At the end of the day, you still have to tell people it's a 1.2 ;)

yeh thats a good reason to buy a 182 but if i wanted a faster car i am affraid it would be a 106 gti or a golf gti. i would love a vtec civic just for the noise but it will never happen as i am skint keeping my car running at the mo.