ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

crashy/bouncy suspension & twitchy steering 2 pot holes later

Clio 172
Hi,

I've recently hit a pot hole with both wheels nd since then the steering has been twitchy nd the suspension been bouncy nd crashy, I have also got very slight vibration through the steering wheel.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks Al

Check the wheels that where affected, or all of the wheels for buckling i.e. bent or a flat spot in the alloy where it hit the ground.

Check the springs as the impact might have broken off a rusty end of a spring etc etc.

Check for leaks around the shockers/dampers then do the stand over each front corner and push down on the car to see if the dampers feel ok (i think the car should drop with your force of pushing then return at a decent rate to normal)

Also get the wheel alignment checked and see if youve bent anything! (not sure if a pot hole could bend anything other than alloys, i suppose it depends on the severity of the hole).

Clio 172
At first inspection the wheels looked ok nd the shocks felt normal to me. I think ill check the springs today.
I hit them at about 40mph.

Cheers

BG PH1 Megane 225
Wouldn't fancy hitting pot holes at 40mph :dead: just a quick one, I'm sure my front shocks are knackered as my car is terribly uncomfortable (can't see any leaks on them) but when doing the push down on each corner of the car test mentioned above, my car is nearly impossible to push down to make the car bounce... is this normal? :dapprove:

172 Cup
Mine did that and was very unstable under acceleration, no visible leaks on the rear dampers but sure it was them. I changed them and it's like driving a different car, maybe check this out as when you accelerate you transfer the weight to the rear. Cheap from Wests Renault too.

Clio 172
Mine did that and was very unstable under acceleration, no visible leaks on the rear dampers but sure it was them. I changed them and it's like driving a different car, maybe check this out as when you accelerate you transfer the weight to the rear. Cheap from Wests Renault too.

Just checked the dampers out last week. Fitted a rear arb nd checked them over. The rear arb has had no effect on this problem btw

MK3 GTI golf 16v
possibly ruined your bottom ball joints or track rod ends ? sounds like that sort of issue, but dont know if a pot hole could cause it. worth checking though i suppose