ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crashed 182

M5,Range Rover Sport & R1
more to the point, what worries me is that neither of the front airbags have deployed!!!!! :S

The airbags not going off not a huge issue infact its a benefit to the next owner as you don't need to go fixing them. Airbags can do more harm than good in crases hence tney don't always go off.
I'm suprised its not being broken up its worth a fair bit in parts.
If the price was low enough its a great bargin there a few things you could do
Strip it for parts
Fix the car weld new panels in and get it on a jig to pull it back to shape. Then buy some new parts say £1000 and its fine.
Swop the parts to another car the engine and box + suspension are fine no huge damage it doesn't look like badly damaged. Swop the interier over and the exterier panels over or sell as you want.

edde said:
The airbags not going off not a huge issue infact its a benefit to the next owner as you don't need to go fixing them. Airbags can do more harm than good in crases hence tney don't always go off.
QUOTE]

very true Edde, and i understand fully where you are coming from, but would we be saying the same thing if someone had died in this accident, Airbags are ment to be there as a safety device, a car with that sort of frontal impact should be questioned fully as to why they weren't deployed!

just my 2p's worth:D

Orange 182
I have an Inferno now cos I crashed the Arctic and it was uneconomical for my insurance to pay for repairs, thus they paid for total loss.

Its just a bit of a shock to see what was my pride and joy for sale like that :(

Orange 182
ok... 'was' my car smart ass.

The nearside rear wheel totally sheared off btw, the caliper and disc were totally destroyed. I bet that wheel is just positioned like that to make the damage look less extensive (unless they have sorted it of course?).

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
The cars computer has an impact detector , the severity of the crash mustn't have been enough to set off the airbag , i think its over 50mph ish before it will set off the airbags with a frontal impact . I smacked my 172 into a motorway crash barrier on a bend at 50mph and the air bags never deployed , the seat belt would be enough to restrain you at that speed .

MrBillyUK !

MRBILLYUK said:
The cars computer has an impact detector , the severity of the crash mustn't have been enough to set off the airbag , i think its over 50mph ish before it will set off the airbags with a frontal impact . I smacked my 172 into a motorway crash barrier on a bend at 50mph and the air bags never deployed , the seat belt would be enough to restrain you at that speed .

MrBillyUK !

a frontal impact yet it sets off the drivers seat airbag... some dodgy sensors if you ask me....i'd be questioning why the seat deployed yet the steering wheel didn't... a question trail182 could answer;)

trueblue said:
very true Edde, and i understand fully where you are coming from, but would we be saying the same thing if someone had died in this accident, Airbags are ment to be there as a safety device, a car with that sort of frontal impact should be questioned fully as to why they weren't deployed!
Your right yes but then again we'd never know if they would have saved a life or reduced an injoury. Airbags aren't the be end don't get me wrong there great and worth the weight penalty but in a crash which isn't that severe there no need for them to go off. The passenger cell compartment of the car's undamaged worst i think the ownerd would have is some wiplash.
The cars not that badly damaged the impact has only knocked the front end panels in in the engine budged a bit in a realy bad crash the engine wouldn't start as it had been pushed back to far. and it would have wreched

Orange 182
I hit the barrier at more than 50 mph but it was not completely head on despite the impression of the damage. I crossed 3 lanes and hit the central reservation, I'd estimate that i hit it at a 45 degree angle, the car then crumpled onto the front..

Thats why I suspect the side bags went off but not the front.

The side bag stopped my head from hitting the door pillar but I still had a big bump on my noggin.

at least you are ok tho buddy...... and the airbag saved your head from smashing the window.

Orange 182
Yeah thats it mate... car saved my life, no doubt.

From this:

vsmall_KIF_0267.JPG

to This: :(

77_1_b.jpg

182cup/D40/Hornet
As long as he's here to tell the tale,20 year old died this morning around ours in a taxi at 5 am seen car,total mess:(

Ad

MK2 FRS
interesting to see how they have patched it by fitting wheels in order to make it look less severe.... cant imagine its worth repairing!!!

Thats the same company that had the stolen 172 for sale with no wheels

tiTTy & SV650
when the cars written off you can choose to buy it from the insurance company i believe, AJR did so with his old clio and fixed it up at his dads garage. sold on now but can make some money out of a write off imo, and even if splitting for parts u might get more than you have to pay to buy it bsck.

Orange 182
I wasn't given the choice to buy it back. TBH i wouldn't be happy with it being repaired and I couldn't be arsed trying to sell the parts off myself. However, there is money to be made on it when you consider some of the parts that are completely undamaged.

I was happy to just be paid by my insurance and get my hands on the Inferno - Altho it is sad to see my Arctic 182 like that :(

MKIII 138
crimbo day this last year a 19yr old died near where i live on a saxo. hit a van didnt have his seatbelt on so the airbag killed him according to police.

no good having airbags if you dont wear your seatbelt

RenaultSport clio 182
Your safety is the main thing mate, makes you think, just takes a split second-and there goes your pride and joy, I bet your loving the inferno!

Orange 182
Yeah Cheers guys.

As I've said before it was a split second thing. Most people tend to think they could handle a situation where they lose control (myself included) but there really was nothing I could have done to prevent the accident. I've defo got more respect for the road especially in bad conditions like it was on that night.

133/225/CLS AMG
Inferno is a wicked colour mate, really makes your car stand out.

Shame about your arctic one ending up like that, main thing is that you're ok but I think you have the better colour now!! (imo)