ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crash with a lorry..

BG182 FF
hi guys,

I had a lorry smash into the side of me yesterday @ 60mph and almost spun into oblivion. Luckily I managed to keep hold of the car and not go under his wheel. I think it says more about the car than my driving.. anywho I've sent the pictures off to the insurance expecting a write-off.

What do you guys think the damage would be to repair? It's annoying because I've had everything repaired to how I wanted with new tyres and full service in the last 6 months..... I expect admiral to give me a ridiculous low-ball offer when I think the car is probably worth between 2.5-3.5k arghhhhh

Attachments

• IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    400.4 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0097.JPG
    IMG_0097.JPG
    433.6 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    462.2 KB · Views: 247

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
It'll be the lorry insurance that'll pay out, which should be more favourable as a non fault accident, if indeed you're not at fault

BG182 FF
It'll be the lorry insurance that'll pay out, which should be more favourable as a non fault accident, if indeed you're not at fault
So it was a Spanish driver and lorry. According to the agent yesterday it's a nightmare to get these claims through. He admitted it was his fault to myself and the police. I also had a witness, so hoping it'll work out..!

BG182 FF
UK or European Truck were you over taking??? did the truck have cameras most do now days
European truck, not sure about cameras. He didn't speak very good English.

I was passing him, he was on the slow lane and I was in the 2nd lane of four. He's pulled out to overtake the lorry in front of him and obviously didn't see me and hit me in the mid and rear so I must have been just ahead and probably in his blind spot.

RS280EDC

I was passing him, he was on the slow lane and I was in the 2nd lane of four. He's pulled out to overtake the lorry in front of him and obviously didn't see me and hit me in the mid and rear so I must have been just ahead and probably in his blind spot.
Did you get the unit and trailer reg

RS280EDC

No fast slow lanes you drive on the left unless overtaking

RS280EDC
Yes, got both - luckily a couple of police officers came and got the details for me. I didn't realise that lorries had two sets of plates so was happy they did that for me!

Everyone knows the fast slow lane description. Though saying that I would have been better off hogging a lane!
Yes UK have the same European trailers are reg as a stand alone vehicle did you get hit by his front wheel area

BG182 FF
Yes UK have the same European trailers are reg as a stand alone vehicle did you get hit by his front wheel area
Yes, it was damage from his cab. He has damage to the front right hand corner. The cab was red which helps, the trailer was blue so should be obvious to the insurance companies.

RS280EDC
Yes, it was damage from his cab. He has damage to the front right hand corner. The cab was red which helps, the trailer was blue so should be obvious to the insurance companies.
Yes not blind but you are in a bad place he's probably not had a second look he has three mirrors on that side

BG182 FF
Y
Lucky there mate, it could have pit manoeuvred you and hit you square, pushing you down the motorway. Presumably you meant you were both doing 60?
That's right, I was only creeping padt as the limit was 60 at the time. Was very lucky, Im happy to come out unscathed to be honest. Been reflecting on life a little differently today!

BG182 FF
That's a write off, 100%.

I always steer well clear of anything with a foreign plate for fear of ever getting involved in anything like you are!

Hope you get it sorted, buddy.
I kind of expected that, was my initial thoughts also. Seems like a bit repair job.

I'd recommend staying clear, maybe going an extra lane away to go past! I'll be doing that going forward for sure..

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I'm just looking for some input whether anyone thinks it could be fixable within an insurance claim.

I'm not looking for driving lessons or opinions on how "bad" the crash was. Any other input is useless to me.

I probably could have elaborated. Yeah it's a write off, glad you are ok.

997.1, Caddy, e208
They are lengthy claims. Mines probably going 50/50 after he went into the rear of me on a roundabout because a case study suggests I was 'part to blame' as I knew he was there, ignoring the fact he was in the left hand lane, doing a 360° with no indicator, 5th exit, yet I was in the right hand lane for the third.

It's been 5 months now, I'm not even claiming!

I'm not looking for driving lessons or opinions on how "bad" the crash was. Any other input is useless to me.
I'd recommend staying clear, maybe going an extra lane away to go past! I'll be doing that going forward for sure..

If I may be so bold, this first comment is slightly strange - every drive is likely to raise at least one thing that one can learn from, a journey with an accident happening especially so... The reason people are at (statistically proven) increased risk of repeating an accident in exactly the same way in the year or two after the first accident (can't remember exactly) is because people don't stop and analyse the situation to see what they should have done better! "It was his fault, I wasn't in the wrong" is an attitude so prevalent that people point-blank refuse to acknowledge they could have done things better themselves, something which is only going to get worse with the creeping scourge of in-vehicle cameras for 'safety'. A good, 'advanced' driver acknowledges that they are not perfect and are always learning, and takes responsibility for their own and others' safety.

So, if that doesn't come across as completely patronising (which was not the aim), I'm going to ignore your first comment and make a suggestion... :wink:

If you are in traffic that is moving at much the same speed on a dual carriageway or motorway, don't drive along in the lane next to lorries.

As you come up to the lorry (or the rear lorry of two or more that are in a row), ease off and hold back in your lane so you are behind the rear of the lorry, then wait for the vehicle in front to finish overtaking the lorry/ies.

When they have cleared the front of the (front) lorry and there is a couple of car lengths of space behind them (so you don't catch up to them and have to drive along next to a lorry), check that the lorry/ies aren't looking to overtake a vehicle/lorry in front (such as when they are 'hinting' by moving towards the centre line / braking intermittently because they are so close / driving only a few feet behind the vehicle in front), and if they aren't, surge forward using firm acceleration.

Ease off the accelerator as you approach the vehicle in front (using acceleration sense and the knowledge of how quickly your car slows down when you come off the power) so you don't have to brake, and you will have minimised time next to the lorries and therefore minimised the risk to you / your passengers / your car.

The added advantage of this is that it creates space in front of you for the lorry/ies to overtake in if they need to (don't forget - 10+ gears and only something like 300rpm of rev range in each of them IIRC, so momentum is everything), and if they do overtake, you don't even need to alter your course or brake because you're not in the way and are doing the same speed as them anyway - they signal, you give them a flash, that is it! This means less stop-start traffic is caused (by you braking, the person behind braking more heavily, the person behind them braking even heavier, etc etc) and traffic flow is smoother overall.

Some people (audi drivers? lol) behind you might get impatient because they want you to be 0.5 inches off the bumper of the car in front of you (because it feeeeeeels faster, but actually makes virtually zero difference to your overall journey time), but TBF, f**k 'em - they aren't the ones who are going to get crushed to death against the central reserve if a lorry does exactly what it did in the opening post above.

If, once you have overtaken safely as above, they then follow you and drive alongside the lorries, that's their lookout, but you will have looked after you / you passengers and given lorry drivers a chance to not have to bully their way out into a constant stream of unthinking car-drivers, making the journey safer for everyone.

Give it a try on your next DC/Motorway journey with traffic - I find it quite a relaxing way to drive, plus it means your space for emergency braking is much improved generally and breaks the habit that we all get into of travelling too close to cars in front at high speed.

Only if you want it to be.
Good used door, side skirt, repair to rear quarter + paint.
I can point him to someone in Bedford that would sort that for less than a grand.
@alex_s2b
I will be amazed if that can be fixed for under a grand - in my experience you're looking at a grand just for the rear wing...

They'll definitely write it off IMO - strip off anything aftermarket now that you want to keep, then if they won't let you buy it back, you've not lost anything.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I'd say it's definitely a write off myself, sorry to hear about it, but at least you're ok. When I banged up my first clio, it took me a while to realise it could have been so much worse, and I could have been seriously injured.