ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crank pin hole question

Suzuki Swift Sport
Hi quick question.

If the timing is out on a car, how do I make sure the crank pin is in the right slot in the flywheel? (yes I know usually if it's out the valves are fucked etc etc.)

Guide States to go by the horizontal cam slots. But if the timing is out, how can I be sure it's not going in a balance hole at horizontal?

Thanks

Which the spark plug out on cyl 2 or 3 and put something carefully onto the top of the piston to show TDC when it's at TDC the pin will only go into the correct hole

Suzuki Swift Sport
Right can't use flywheel method as engine in still in the car.

If I get cylinder 3 (assuming right to left is 1-4) to TDC the crank pin will not locate until after TDC and traveling back down.

Many.
Theres a hole in the gearbox bell housing. Its under PAS/coolant pipe. Line up the slot in flywheel to the 0 mark on the flywheel.

It should be one and four at TDC.

Suzuki Swift Sport
Can I just double check. The only visible mark that was on the flywheel was a bit of green paint? Is that what I was looking for? Or is it a physical slot as you say?

dan's cast offs.
bit of a groove, might of had some paint thrown in it though as it can be a bit fiddly to see.

get crank to tdc with big screw driver down no.4, then check for locking hole in crank, be careful though as it is easy to miss it and get the balance drilling but the pin won't go all the way in. also make sure you have the proper pin am 99% certain if you have a k4m pin it will screw all the way in in the balance drilling.

Suzuki Swift Sport
Was going to post this to ask if this green mark was the TDC mark. Then I noticed the notch in the flywheel next to the green bit!

Cylinder 4 also at TDC - checked using screw driver method.

For anyone that needs some help that's come across this post, see image!

73faaef2dde0875fa4ed53ea1e41b261.jpg

P.s yours may not have green paint, but should have the mark, as everyone mentioned above.

dan's cast offs.
be very careful as where the mark is now you're not at tdc, when you insert the pin make sure the crank won't move either way. it will need to move a 'touch' to get the pin in place.

Suzuki Swift Sport
Do you mean get that notch between the two lines of '0'?

If I rotate the engine any more, it won't be at TDC. I'm 99% it's at max travel.

Crank won't budge either way. I'll triple check tomorrow, worst case I'll just have to crank it back to this position.

Thanks for the help anyhow.