ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Could this be True.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Quote: Originally posted by aaronc on 01 April 2003

The CTR is defo quicker than a 172. Cup would give it a bit of hassle.

But CTR is quicker than FOCUS RS & CUP.

That Vtec sh*t is wicked

What are you basing this on? Im not saying your wrong, but Im curious to know what you mean by quicker?

Astra 1.9cdti XP

There is a video that show a 172 round a track with a 172 with the 172 passing it. Also the 172 beat a CTR round the track in Autocar.

I HATE with a passion saying the above cos a feel like a nob, but you say the CTR is quicker than a 172 on paper yes but there is nothing whatsoever in it as ALL the evidence shows. I weigh up the facts that I have seen and not the facts that I make up!!!

End to pointless rant!!

Quote: Originally posted by Dust on 01 April 2003

I think peeps are over-estimating the power of the CTR. I hate the dam things, ugly ugly machines. And no way would they pull 100mph in 14.4

Why is a straight line time such an achivement? I would rather look at track times between the cars. The CTR is designed for straight line racing, however the RS and Cup anre concentrated on the more important aspects of motoring, carring speed round corners.

If you put the three in a proper race you can bet your coton socks which motor comes last!
Straight line?? Well I been in a CTR and it corners like its on rails... Not my fault the drivers that say its unforgiving round bends are used to the soggy suspension of a 172 wallowing round bends..... The CTR is rock hard how it should be but you have to be a good driver to get the best out of it!!!

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

lol, 172 wallowing, thats gonna get some comments off 172 owners Im sure!!

From what Ive read, the CTR is stiffer round bends then the 172, but there is a lot less feedback from the CTR, therefore it takes an experienced driver to get the best out of it as you said, but the 172 gives more feedback, therefore your average joe can whip it round corners just as fast as your experienced CTR driver, if that makes any sense!

Im sure someone can sum it up better then me!

Quote: Originally posted by zedx19 on 01 April 2003

lol, 172 wallowing, thats gonna get some comments off 172 owners Im sure!!

From what Ive read, the CTR is stiffer round bends then the 172, but there is a lot less feedback from the CTR, therefore it takes an experienced driver to get the best out of it as you said, but the 172 gives more feedback, therefore your average joe can whip it round corners just as fast as your experienced CTR driver, if that makes any sense!

Im sure someone can sum it up better then me!

The fact is surely an owner would want some kind of enjoyment combined with speed

No but im getting one once I paid for mine.... Its not just an experienced CTR driver anyone who races cars knows leaning car is not the fastest way to corner.... Yes you get feedback but you should just know whats going on in your car by using the force!

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 01 April 2003

:eek: Am i a bad driver then Steve?
No Rob that was the first time you had driven one.... Drive one for a few weeks..... get used to the car rather than looking for feedback.. Then I bet your times will be quicker!

If you cant tell where the limits of the car are how can you push it? Maybe if i did have a CTR for ages i would know how to drive it inside out but i should be able to jump in and at least have fun.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Use the force luke!

Of course the CTR is faster after 100mph, is got more gears for a start!

You can! I learn all my cars by pushing, pushing, pushing till I know that was over the limit of handling... When i have to correct the car with the wheel to keep it pointing the right direction(only minor corrections) So till you get the CTR to that level you cant compair.... I have been in one and it corners mate... it corners really fast..... you just have to push it...

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Have you been in a 172, Cup and Focus then Steve? One thats being pushed so you can compare to the CTR?

I think well both go mad before i can turn you back to liking the 172.

Grip is one thing, feedback another. In oversteeri was correcting with both hands on the CTR, on the 172 i was using the palm of my hand, that surely gives an idea of the confidence factory, theyre poles apart.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

I cant really comment on either the CTR or 172 as Ive not driven or been in either, but I have read a lot of reviews on it and the general consensus is that the Cup is the best, as fast a CTR, better feedback, more fun, cheaper.

Why does the CTR have slower track times than the CUP and RS then? Is it because your not driving? or because the car does not handle as well as the other Hot Hatches on the market?? Stiffer ride does not mean better handling.

He he he I do like the 172!!!! I really do like em. I know Clios handle or I wouldnt have brought mine... I just dont want another renault :cry:

I have driven a Type r for a weekend, and cup for an Hour. And boy, that hour made my mind instantly. The steering of the Type R is crap. Nothing to tell you where u are on the road if u know what i mean! But the Cup has all that plus more!

The liftoff oversteer is much much much more responsive and you just get a feel for the car much quicker, and take it to the limit much quicker. Where as in the CTR you cant feel where the car is going next, the Chasis just feels, unfinished! You dont get the near the same responce as the CUP.

Oh and may i add the CTR i borrowed also have Yoko A539s!

Everyone has a different threshold of acceptable. I cant blame you for giving up on Renault and dont mind that you wana a CTR, its only a car at the end of the day. Just trying to make my opinions clear and do you a favour :)

End of the day when I come to buy my next car im going to be doing a lot of long tests or all the cars in my price range

Sorry but i just hate CTRs after reading some posts on their forum. Outrages me! CUPCUPCUPCUPCUPCUPCUPCUPCUPCUP

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 01 April 2003

I heard on Captial FM some managed to get to Spain and back on a 48hour test drive, see if you can beat him!
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Good on him!

Ive never driven any of the cars mentioned so wont waste your time with an opinion but CCC really rate the CTR for a track car and I thought they know what they are talking about or are they rock apes too?:)

BMW 320d Sport

LOL here we go again. BTW I skipped page 2 & 3 cos I know whatll be in there. Anyway firstly, before I got bored of the arguments, the original post wasnt about whether a CTR would beat a Cup, it was about a Focus RS.

Secondly, the FRS, CTR and Cup are all pretty similar in terms of performance, OK we could debate it all day, but when theyre within half a second of each other 0-60 and a second or two over the 0-100, its gonna be down to the driver.

And thirdly, Ive been in CTRs, raced them and seen and heard them on the roads and they have a lot of poke, so I cant see why its so hard to believe that one could do a Focus RS. OK the CTR owners do think their cars are faster than anyone elses, but so does every owners club or community to a certain extent...

BMW 320d Sport

PLus whats even worse is that I used to think that they looked like an MPV with a bodykit, and now Im actually beginning to like the look of them! I would still rather have a Cup as I believe its the better car, Renault have the credentials that Honda dont. But then again, I could have bought either car with the money Ive whacked out on my valver so far, so I say my valver is better than BOTH of them!:D And the Focus RS too!

there was a vid of a focus RS getting whipped by a CTR on a drag race. And the only place the RS is any good is on a track. It took two years to make that car and they still f**ked it up lol

Bloddy Hell, everyone is going mad!

I test drove a CTR with the intent of buying, my car then was a Mk1 172. The CTR was a VERY quick car with a great seating position. Hammered it round a bypass for fiften minutes and then turned off onto some proper country roads for adecent alround test.

What an absolute piece of sh*t going round a corner, now I do not pretend to be the best driver in the world, but I have been on the track in various cars (355, elise, Porsche, M3) and I do understand what I want from a car, acceleration, conering ability etc.

I liked the Honda, but I didnt like it enough to part with 16 grand. I stepped straight into my then 172 and for the first time ever, after looking at a new car, I washappy with what I had.

A year later and with the Cup, I would never consider a CTR unless they could actually make it handle.

At the moment, the Cup IS THE MOST FOCUSED DRIVERs CAR FOR UNDER 20K

it dont handle at all too tall, slab sided, too heavy, too de-tached, the original platform was never good enough for a type R its a mini mpv, nice engine and gearbox though.

CTR EK9 turbo

"I liked the Honda, but I didnt like it enough to part with 16 grand. I stepped straight into my then 172 and for the first time ever, after looking at a new car, I was happy with what I had."

cliocupmeister - thats exactly the same thing i felt after i test drove one.....