ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

could a weak battery cause misfire + irratic idle etc. ?

RS RIP
I've done the leads and coilpack, seemed to benefit from this but the misfire/stuttering has come back. The battery is very old , had it checked and the measure-device said "replace, bad battery"

The fault readout when having it plugged in for diagnosis last week only mentioned a fault; "bad earth"

Could this be down to my weak battery (which is also way down in the spare-wheel comp with way longer wire than usual) ?

1.5dci
check your plugs, make sure they are nice and clean - i had bad idle/ irratic for a while, until i noticed 2 of my plugs had oil round them - changed the rocker gasket n it fixed it, but i would suggest replacing the battery anyway :)

RS RIP
^ thanks , thing is that some 5000 miles ago i threw in some of the proper NGK plugs so these should last another 50K. The "bad earth" faultcode points me in the direction of the battery (because it's a bad one). Just bought a proper nice one and am about to install it.

Will post up as this COULD be a second misfire/battery related case ! I have read/searched a LOT of threads and there was one other case that had the battery being the cause of it's misfire. Will be down to a weak spark then i guess

RS RIP
The new battery has just been installed and it has gotten a lot better ! No more misfire, it does still struggle a bit coming down in revs down to idle. It is a LOT better than before though :approve:

Tommorow i will clean+check all the earths and see if i can get the last little judders out

Golf GTD Mk7
why would the battery make a difference mate? Main power drain is from starting no? Might be a wiring issue somewhere which is failing to supply current at the correct voltage. French wiring = fail :(

RS RIP
^^ correct in theory ! Yeah also when looking at the (French) wiring it makes me cry, for f**k's sake it looks like s**t.

But I read about someone else here with a bad battery that had the same probs and this fixed it ?? It should'nt really matter though , strange eh ?

I think the battery being in the boot , with the long live( wire) going there , means that the battery has got to be in correct working order. Anyway, the faultcode was bad earth so i'll go on checking them

Golf GTD Mk7
You could be right then mate. It starts ok I assume though, so cranking amps must be fine. ECU earth might be a shout.

RS RIP
^^ you are speaking the same words as the man i have spoken to this evening ! He said battery should'nt matter all that much and better i check the ECU earths

Thanks , good feedback here ;)

RS RIP
well this is strange. the new battery brought me one evening of joy as the prob seemed to be far better/almost dissapeared.
It's back. :dead:

So... a new + fresh powersource cured it (seemingly) for a couple of hours ? What's strange is that when booting it it seems NOT to misfire. Also hesitates to get back to idle and this in a juddering way.. Sticky injector ?

aaaaaarrrrgghh !!! thrown 300+ at it and no cure yet