ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

corsa vxr owner maybe turning to the darkside

corsa vxr
hi everyone my names Rich. i currently own a silver corsa VXR, but reliability issues are making me want to sell it more and more. been thinking of a few cars to replace the vxr and a cliosport seems to fit the bill.
come here just to learn abit more about the car, reliability etc

heres a few pics of my car
wideangle011.jpg

wideangle035.jpg

parked next to the rival :rasp:
12102009515-1.jpg

Crappy work hire car
Hi Rich, welcome to CS mate - what trouble you been having with the VXR?

audi a6 3.0tdi
is it right the have chocolate pistons? I'd of thought they would have been pretty strong engines. I always liked the idea of one i'm not keen on looks but the easy tuning potential was appealing. I've got a vectra as well as the clio and i've always quite liked vauxhalls.

oh and welcome to cliosport its a great site :)

corsa vxr
Hi Rich, welcome to CS mate - what trouble you been having with the VXR?

hi mate, so fare the car totally died because a wire chaffed causing the ecu not to read the engine or somthing. heater motor got replaced today.wheel bearings are a big problem

corsa vxr
is it right the have chocolate pistons? I'd of thought they would have been pretty strong engines. I always liked the idea of one i'm not keen on looks but the easy tuning potential was appealing. I've got a vectra as well as the clio and i've always quite liked vauxhalls.

oh and welcome to cliosport its a great site :)

hi mate piston 4 melting is the big problem...mainly happened to the tuned engines and them not goting warmed up proply before giving them the beans....to be far theres only been a few cases on vxro and regal are offering an upgrade package to sort the problem.........and mini cooper s's are having the same problems

Crappy work hire car
Doesn't sound great does it mate! Get yourself a nice 197, you'll be right ;)

ph 2, 172.
haha i wouldnt swap anyway mate! & the offer i put was so unreasonable you would of lost out abit!

like i said.. love the vxr!

corsa vxr
Doesn't sound great does it mate! Get yourself a nice 197, you'll be right ;)

nearly bought one but went for the corsa because of the deal i got with the spec on it....
and personally felt that the corsa had the looks inside and out....and better quality feel to it.

R27
Welcome!! I like your VXR, both the VXR and 197 are quite similar cars but very different to drive. I would recommend you drive a 197. IMO you'll either love it or hate it after driving the VXR.

As far as reliability goes i've never had any trouble with my 197 however my mate has had a few issues with his 09 plate VXR. I have posted some very recent pictures if you want to see the cars together in a very similar colour. You could do worse than the corsa though!!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I might be going out on a limb here but I think you would maybe need to get used to the power delivery in the clio coming from the vxr.

Tbh there are a lot of people who like the vxr's on here but for me the 197 is just that bit more subtle and classier but with similar performance and cornering ability.

If you go 197 pick the right one. Recaros ect.. maybe even an r27?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I still prefer the VXR over the 197 tbh.

Welcome mate, keep in mind though, Renaults arent the most reliable creatures either.

nice car, my fav colour, hardly see the silver ones, i think you should test drive the 197 though, there was a stage where i wanted one, test drove it and it swayed my opinion entirely. Best bet might be a (05/55)182 or possibly trophy.

Crappy work hire car
182 would be a bit of a come down from the VXR... at least with the 197 he can get another '07 reg or better

corsa vxr
thanks for the warm welcome i've got... today i hit a rock and it's destroyed my front alloy and part of the front bumper. i think it knew i signed up here and decided to get me back for it

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
thanks for the warm welcome i've got... today i hit a rock and it's destroyed my front alloy and part of the front bumper. i think it knew i signed up here and decided to get me back for it

lol, ouch!

So what kind of problems have you had with it? I thought they were generally quite reliable?

ITB BG 182
Theres a lad at my work place has one of the corsa vxr's an he hates it.
In all that snow we had not long ago he went round a corner at crawling speed an it slid across instead of turning but caught the front wheel and rear wheel on the drivers side on the kerb, now he was going slow'ish and it broke the wheel, killed the wishbone, bent the suspension strut and buckled some thing else, back wheel the tyre popped off.
Vauxhall had the car for 3 weeks to repair it all and cost him alot of money, hes had it 6 months now and already looking for some thing else.

corsa vxr
Theres a lad at my work place has one of the corsa vxr's an he hates it.
In all that snow we had not long ago he went round a corner at crawling speed an it slid across instead of turning but caught the front wheel and rear wheel on the drivers side on the kerb, now he was going slow'ish and it broke the wheel, killed the wishbone, bent the suspension strut and buckled some thing else, back wheel the tyre popped off.
Vauxhall had the car for 3 weeks to repair it all and cost him alot of money, hes had it 6 months now and already looking for some thing else.
don't get vxr owners started with the snow subject. it has been the worst car for snow i've ever owned. i got stuck on a bridge in the snow with the wheels just spinning, normal cars just drove past with no problems. i went to turn around and go back the way i came, i could'nt get up a slight slope had to reverse as far as possiible and build up as much speed as possible just to get up the slope

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I honestly wouldnt buy a car on its snow driving ability.

I find it very hard to believe that a Corsa VXR is any less able than any other car

corsa vxr
I honestly wouldnt buy a car on its snow driving ability.

I find it very hard to believe that a Corsa VXR is any less able than any other car
its absalutly shocking in the snow....its because of the wide tyres and power going to the front wheels

ITB BG 182
don't get vxr owners started with the snow subject. it has been the worst car for snow i've ever owned. i got stuck on a bridge in the snow with the wheels just spinning, normal cars just drove past with no problems. i went to turn around and go back the way i came, i could'nt get up a slight slope had to reverse as far as possiible and build up as much speed as possible just to get up the slope
Tell us some bad stories so i can tell him as hes slightly unsure about getting rid as it might just be a one off he says

tiTTy & SV650
Never liked the VXR, styling does nothing for me. Get yourself a Nimbus R27 if you can - awesome bit of kit!

R27
I used to own a corsa vxr got rid of it when both rear wheel bearings went at 16k and the aircon compressor broke along with the aircon pipes cracking.And to top it off both wing mirrors were cracking too. It was only a year and half old and vx wouldn't replace the wing mirrors and at that time there was along wait for wheel bearings and aircon pipes. Got an r27 now and it handles miles better than my corsa vxr did. Id recommend getting a 197.