ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coolant pipe off water pump

Andy8CH

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Mk2
Hi All,

Driving along in traffic last night and noticed temp guauge very high. Pulled over and found the car leaking coolant and the radiator stone cold.

Turns out the pipe has come away from what I assume is the water pump (pipe under oil filter) - it looks like over time the metal clip has just become weak and pressure has built up and literally pushed the pipe off.

Could there be another reason for this - would I be safe just reconnecting the pipe with a different clip and refilling with coolant. Anything I should look out for?

It was fairly late last night so I couldn't have a good look - the guy who turned up with the towing lorry said it's likely to be something else to cause the pressure like the head gasket going. I know I should check the oil to see if there is any sign of water but didn't know if there is anything else someone could think of.

Cheers for any help,

Andrew.

clio sport 182
would be worth reconnecting it and filling with coolant and see how it is, check that its geting through the radiator and that its geting hot all round the system in case its just a thermostat issue or blocked rad. check oil as well it mite not be as bad as a head gasket.
thats what i'd do if it was mine mate

Andy8CH

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Mk2
Looking in the daylight it appeared the clip wasn't holding the pipe on as the clip was too far down the pipe - you could see the indentation in the pipe where it had been sitting.
I put the pipe back on, filled with coolant, bled the system and all seems to be working fine!
Could anyone who's reading this have a look to see if they have a clip on theirs? One of my friends seemed to think it may have only been glued together - I am of the opinion that some work has been done on the car by someone and the clip wasn't put back properly..