ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coolant Leak :(

Clio 182
Was driving back the other day and the stop ad coolant light came on. Found that i had no coolant left at all. I topped it up with water and when i got home stuck a piece of cardboard under the engine and theres a ver small leak on the drivers side (off side). Any idea what it could be? Is this a common fault?

Some say try replacing the Thermostat? But is located more on the passenger side?

Others mentioned the water pump? Again is this on the driver side?

Not sure if it matters but my headlight washer are not working either. Not sure if that is linked?

Any healp would be great!

Cheers

I had this ive been through 2 water pumps the first one collapsed and took my timing belt with it -.-' 1 new engine later and the other one was leaking then eventually fell through altogether luckily it was caught just in time. The water pump is drivers side behind the wheel bototm of the engine mate.

Nick

1eight2
This happened to me but it was a hole in the radiator. Coolant was lasting about a day and it was literally pissing out of the radiator. Managed to pick one up for £62 delievered online. If you find it is the radiator PM me and i'll dig the link out.

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
How much is it leaking now you have toppped it back up? mine developed a leak this week and it was only small but couldn't tell where it was coming from - as it was so small i got some 'K-Seal' from my motor factors and it will fix small leaks, mines now stopped which makes me think rad had started to weep a bit.....

Its about £15 for a small bottle, its expensive but it works (providing its the rad etc) but if its the water pump its new pump time! but worth a try if you can't see where its coming from.

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
Just to add you just pour the k-seal into your coolant but just make sure you shake the bottle really well before you put it in.

Clio 182
Thanks for the repsonses guys. Jacked the car up today to try get a better idea of where the leak was.

Firstly one stupid question; just been to Halfords and bought Bars Leaks for radiators. Where i have circled below in the pic is where i put this Bars Leaks Stuff Main coolant bottle)? I just wanted to make sure there isnt somewhere else in the engine bay i should be pouring this into?:

DSC02274.gif

After getting a better look i could see where the leak was. It looks like it is the coolant/water pump that connects to the driver side of the engine (Just above the pullys). The drip has gone from a drizzle to heavy rain. I have taken a video and will upload for others to see shortly.

My 2nd question does anyione have any idea how much this will cost to replace?

Cheers

If you have a friendly mechanic hopefully you'll get mates rates cost 120 for mine to be replaced as its part of the timing system so not a very fun job you have to lock the crack pull before you change it if I remeber

ITB'd 172 POPTART
It's part of the auxiliary setup mate not the crank, just take the tension using the alternator if a cup remove belt and remove the star bolts as well as removing the coolant hose swap over pulley onto new one and reverse steps

Edit, well it does come of the crank pully but not part of the timing belt :)