ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cooked gearbox or dead clutch?

itb'd RB 182 cup
i kill my car today and lost all drive! i was pulling out on to the A1 so had to speed up quickly in doing this heard loud bang and lost 1st managed to get it into 2nd it was fine in 3rd 4th and 5th until i come to slow down on the slip road when i push down the clutch and then loose all drive. there wasnt any crunching noises or anything just no drive, the clutch pedal feels normal.
has any body got any idea wether this sounds like a gear box failure, just the clutch or something more serious?

many thanks ljohny.

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
So what your saying is you have no first gear or you actually have no pull at all, i.e. you can put the clutch in fine, select a gear but when you release the clutch pedal you get no momentum?

do you get a drop in RPM? do you get any 'biting' at all? Have you tried 2nd-3rd-4th-5th and reverse and they all do this?

itb'd RB 182 cup
i had 2nd-5th straight after the bang but when slowed down at junstion i had nothing in all the gears no drop in revs absolutely sod all.
new car me thinks

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
Could be the cluth, could be the gearbox. You'd be able to find out as soon as you took the box off. Having said that you can pick up and engine and gearbox from a scrapyard for sod all so you could just do that!

alien green rs133
i have seen a shaft inside the gearbox on a 172 move, cracking the casing.

(most clio gearbox's are simular design.)

itb'd RB 182 cup
hopefully it is only the clutch but ive cant get into work tomorow so i shall have the gear box off then fingers crossed it comes off in one piece!