ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

concern on cup - please re-asure!

Golf R32 & 172 CUP

My g-friend has decided to part with her mint low milage 106 gti and go for a 172 cup, i have a 172 and love it and am happy shes getting one though im a little concerned about the lack of ABS, is this a big issue is it any less safe how have cup owners found the brakes?

I just want to make sure - as im sure you can understand i dont want to worry about her all the time!!

Chgeers in advance

p.s mint 106 gti, in FOR SALE section would P/x CUP!!

Pete

172 Cup

Never had a problem in 2 years. Wheels will lock up very easily if you want them to but its down to common sense in the wet... Just leave extra breaking room..

Ofcourse if something pulls out infront of you theres not much you can do...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

I never had a problem without the ABS on my Cup, theyre damn fine brakes and you can stop quickly & in control without locking them up. Obviosly if you just jump on the pedal in the wet it will lock up, but you dont do that!

i have a 182 which i find the ABS crucial when you get dick heads that pull out on you or slam on the brakes for no reason, my abs has saved me a number of times.

172, Tiguan

You shouldnt have to rely on ABS to be able to drive. People survived for years before it became commonplace.
The brakes on the Cup are excellent most of the time.

As said by a couple of others you shouldnt be relying on it to help you stop, just drive sensibly and anticipate things happening and you wont ever need it.

Golf R32 & 172 CUP

i no i dont rely on it - i was just cincerned they would lock very easily - i know how good the brakes are on mine!

Cheers guys

I never said i dont drive sensibly, i always drive sensibly, you cant help what others do and you never know when you will need to do an emergency stop. Its not relying on ABS its knowing its there if needed.

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 13 May 2005

You shouldnt have to rely on ABS to be able to drive. People survived for years before it became commonplace.
I second this. ABS is not designed to save you if you are driving too fast. It should not be thought of as a fail safe which will prevent you from crashing if you are driving badly. The fail safe is your common sense, brain, your eyes and your right foot! ;)

It is, however, useful for unexpected events (dickheads pulling out on you or low flying chickens).

172, Tiguan

Quote: Originally posted by RS182 on 13 May 2005
I never said i dont drive sensibly, i always drive sensibly, you cant help what others do and you never know when you will need to do an emergency stop. Its not relying on ABS its knowing its there if needed.

No apologies, what I put came out slightly wrong! It wasnt aimed at you or anyone else in particular.

Thank you, unexpected events is what i was n about, my boyfriend had someone pull out on him, his car didnt have ABS and unfortunately wheels locked and whallop, i had someon pull out on me and guess what the ABS come on and and the wheels didnt lock, therefore didnt crash. Why does every one assume that other people drive badly when things happen, its really annoying.

Liquid yellow R26 F1

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 13 May 2005

:D

Weeman sucks ****

Quote: Originally posted by RS182 on 13 May 2005
Thank you, unexpected events is what i was n about, my boyfriend had someone pull out on him, his car didnt have ABS and unfortunately wheels locked and whallop, i had someon pull out on me and guess what the ABS come on and and the wheels didnt lock, therefore didnt crash. Why does every one assume that other people drive badly when things happen, its really annoying.

Its a fine line as to what speeds you do. What were the speeds of these incedents.

No ABS isnt an issue imo. As said (not that it needs to be) just dont be stupid and itll never be an issue. Mine is fine.

Street Triple R

The Cup brakes are fine, I havent locked them up once, even under hard braking, they are very good, I used to have a VTS with ABS and to be honest i dont think i ever needed it at all

i dont know why but i found the 182 brakes worse than the 172 cups ??, the 182s seemed to fade so easily, nealry put mine in a ditch a few times

the brakes are good on the cup iv had to use them "harsh" an it was fine very quick stopping power an loads of "feel" in braking,

i had a corsa for my first car it was a 2002 1.2 sxi!! and it had ABS an i locked them up very badly once i was sh*tting it!!! so what the f*ck is all that about lol has anyone else locked up an car with abs cos i have!

dont worry she will be fine if she just takes it easy in the wet.

Unless shes a very competent girl racer and disciplined (only you have the answer to that incidentally!), Id say get ABS - coz shell be tempted to push and we all know what could happen IF shes not proficient.

ABS for any road car thanks, ive been a circut monger since was a puppy, and ABS is what you want for the road. ITs not about using common sense, or you brain, or doing any of the above, its about having a safety feature which will save your bacon more than annoy you.

Not many have the skill to really push a car anyway, even less so when something jumps out infront of you. Ive had it plenty a time before.

And remeber this winter, cups were written off and crashed left, right and centre.

The cup is a homologation special designed to be converted into a race car like the Williams was for tarmac rallying.

If you want a fun car buy either one but if you want a fat slow car buy one of the other Clios.

:p