ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Compression Test Results

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
You need to do a leakdown test as I mentioned in a previous post.

It uses compressed air and forces it into the cylinder. Any air leak would be heard as a hissing air sound from a particular area.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
yeah I know but was curious how the air passes through the valve seals to let you know they are bad? I just want to understand what happens down there :)

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Air will find a way past if there are any sealing issues.

These are the typical things you'll see during the test if there's a problem.

• Intake valve : Air whistling out of the intake, carburetor or throttle body indicates a leak at the intake valve.
  • Exhaust valve : Air heard hissing out of the tailpipe, turbocharger or exhaust manifold means an exhaust valve leak.
  • Piston rings : Whistling or hissing out of the PCV valve, oil filler cap hole or dipstick tube means the air is pushing past the rings. Suspect ring or cylinder wall wear.
  • Head gasket : Air bubbles in engine coolant seen at the radiator filler cap could mean air escaping into the coolant past the head gasket.
  • Cracked cylinder head : Bubbles in coolant or coolant being pushed up out of the radiator neck can also indicate cracks in the cylinder head or cylinder walls

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Hey there just found this explanation online which seems pretty logic to me:

"The easiest way to find the compression pressure of an engine is to just look at the compression ratio. Then take the compression ratio and multiply it by the current air pressure (it is typically 14.7 psi at 1 atmosphere and less as you gain altitude). Now with just using the bore and stroke, you would also need to know the volume taken up by the piston, the volume on the head, how far the stroke goes up to the top of the combustion chamber, and finally what the cam shaft is doing as far as the intake and exhaust valves are closing/opening. Additional factors that may effect your engine is the condition of the head gaskets, piston rings, valve seating and when the fuel ignites. Finally to get the best out of an engine is to also examine any intake and exhaust restrictions that may interfere with the flow of gases into/out of the combustion chamber.

So the simple answer is 14.7 X 10.4 = 153 psi at 1 atmosphere. If you go up to 6000 ft, the air pressure is typically 11.8 psi so 11.8 x 10.4 = 123 psi. "

Based on that if you do a compression test on the clio and you are at sea level roughly you multiply 11,2x14,7 psi = 164,6 psi
But the thing is that most of the lads here state that a "good" clio engine should read 180-190 psi.
Can anyone explain this?
Thx!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I find compression tests to be a nearly always disappointing and unfulfilling task - its best to just close the bonnet and think happy thoughts. I mean - when you work out they are all down what are you really going to do about it?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Just seen you have one at 4bar lol - get a cylinder boroscope off amazon and have a look. Engine leak down tests are uncommon in the UK but very helpful. A boroscope is possibly better imo. However this is all academic as you will need to at minimum have the head off.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I am rebuilding the engine anyway. Rings, head, bearings all of it. These questions I have are just for understanding some principles. Like what a good compression test should look like and how are those numbers calculated.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
It would be difficult to calculate a real figure. You could likely calculate a maximum figure relatively easily PV = nRT. However the real figure will be lower due to ring seal/valve seal and cam overlap timing which will also change with cranking rpm.

The useful thing about compression testing is the relative average reading against other engines in a similar state, and the relative reading between cylinders.

Generally when comparing average reading between engines the test method should be consistent. Like cold engine, throttle wide open. Some people will drop a little oil down the cylinder, the oil will help the rings to seal so the reading should go up. If the reading is low and doesn't go up often it is a sign of a poorly sealing valve but can be other things too.

The often touted rule is that cylinder to cylinder readings should be within 10% of one another.

There is nothing more to it really. I find it quite useful to take compression readings periodically during the break in period of an engine and plot a graph, you can see when rings are bedded in for example or find an issue early. On past cars with more expensive engines I also take a compression reading at each service. This kind of testing is THE most useful as you can maintain your test procedure. Admittedly I don't do this on the Clio because its a t**t getting to the plugs.

Using the ideal gas law with a camber vol (including piston dish, gasket thickness and head vol) of 50cc at 20deg taken from this thread:

You can calculate the number of mols r for the total cylinder volume. This is then compressed into 50cc and gives a pressure of 159.4 psi.

Changing the temperature to 70 deg gives 186psi

So here is likely your variation - people measuring with the engine at different temps.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
The above is at seal level btw - which you probably aren't.

And the maximum pressure is likely to be higher as the air will increase in temperature as its compressed.

Last edited:
  clio sport 172
Hey guys.how do I do the leak Down test
My 182 turbo. Is giveing blue smoke when engin hot after about 8 miles driveing at 2500 rpm
I've done the comp test I get around 130 psi ish
Then a 172. That's been on lpg. Is giveing 150 to 160 psi. But no oil. But not running well and need lambors