ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Compression test figures?

Arctic Blue 182
I've done a compression test as my engine light keeps flashing on idle and here are the figures:

4-3-2-1

190-193-193-177

Im just wondering if theses figures seem okay? the car has a misfire cylinder 1 error so would it be that the injector isnt injecting enough fuel causing the lower psi reading on the compression test?

Many thanks!

172 CUP
Figures are not as bad as they look. I was always under the impression that if their within 10% then there's nowt to worry about. Bit concerning that the misfire is on the same one though...

Fred said mine were 14 bar, which is around 200psi iirc.

Clio 172 Ph2
No1 is a bit worrying tried the old faithfull of a couple of squirts of oil down the bre and retest.... willtell you if its a valve or ring issue

Arctic Blue 182
If the injector is dodgey on cyl 1 surely on cranking over on compression test might make a slight bit of difference on that cylinder? Eg less fuel to compress = less compression?

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Injector will make next to no difference!

You should be doing your test with them unplugged if you were going about it the textbook way.

I wouldn't be worried about that. 170psi plus is no where near low enough to cause a misfire.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
As above, injector seal will make no difference to engine compression levels on an F4R as they're after the valves.

Re-run the dry test and if your results are identical carry out a wet test which will, as also mentioned above, tell you if you have a ring seal or valve sealing issue.

How do you know there is a missfire on cylinder 1 specifically... diagnostics?

Mick

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Not that I want to s**t the wind up you but this was making 165psi!

4C98748C-94B2-448B-971F-14E9DFF52D59-136-000000031C355197.jpg

Arctic Blue 182
the car hasnt got a misfire really its more of a lumpy idle and the flashing engine light is on idle only but once your driving the light isnt there, the car pulls tremendously! and made a 350mile trip home from wales without a problem, i bought the car knowing it had the engine light on and the previous owner said it had been scanned and came up "Misfire cylinder 1" i have not scanned it yet as my diagnostic scanner is in the post so i cannot confirm myself what the problem is yet. And its only done 64k with fsh.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Could be coil pack or injector (or something else!)

Swap over injectors with another cylinder and see if the fault moves? If not try moving swapping leads/plugs. Then try another coil pack. That's what I'd do anyway.