ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilovers Vs shocks+springs

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi all.

As my clio is currently off the road, now is the perfect time to get it all sorted out.

It's currently got Spax RSX coilovers fitted on 15" wheels, but it's really harsh and it really ruins the drive on the backroads as it's so bumpy.

I'm thinking of taking the coilovers off, giving them a clean up and selling them (any idea how much they Are worth at all? Fully adjustable ones)
and fitting some new 172 cup shocks along with either cooksport or Eihbach(?) Springs.

Will this be a big improvement for daily driving and back road blasts?

Also, it's currently sitting on 15" 2118s, would changing up to 16" turinis change the handling/speed alot or will I not notice it that much?

Cheers.

RB197
I've gone from 16" turinis to 15" F1's. I've noticed a difference in handling (I've also got some better tyres on 15") not much in speed but suppose to improve acceleration.

I've got cup shocks all round with cooksports, don't think the shocks have ever been changed. They're ok as daily, still quite harsh. Got some B14's waiting to be fitted as I want less bodyroll on track.

A lot of people recommend the cup shocks and sportlines/cooksports.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
My 182 is on cooksports and I'd say it's harsher than it was on those spax! I don't know if the spax settings have been changed since I had the car though.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
My 182 is on cooksports and I'd say it's harsher than it was on those spax! I don't know if the spax settings have been changed since I had the car though.
Yeah they have been changed. Morgan played about with them and I found it too bouncy as they were so I played around again myself. I guess I could change them again but I don't think it's really going to improve it THAT much.

May be a bit odd but I've never driven a clio on proper fresh standard suspension so I have no idea how good/hard or crashy they are.

It's just a bit annoying when out for a blast and I can't really press on through the bends because when I'm going round a corner and I'm accelerating I'm getting chucked about all over the place.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Shame you can't drive a bog standard cup. You get more roll but it still grips and quite honestly I think it's better than my family diesel at getting down a rubbish road as it doesn't feel that hard and it's more composed when pressing on.

Standard springs are very expensive new so maybe try the softer Eibachs.

There are a few on here that do run coilovers successfully on the road so maybe they'll be able to sort you out before you give up.

If you've run coil overs on track you will miss them if you continue to track your car. Especially if all you do is smooth circuits and not airfield days.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
The problem with coilovers is people get a set for £200 and expect the world and when they obviously turn out to be crap they slate coilovers in general.

A decent set of coilovers will be much better than just replacing springs. Not to mention being able to get your car sitting exactly how you want it.

Unless you're spending over £600 odd (give or take) on coilovers then new cup shocks and springs (or Eibach springs) will be better for the road.

Cheap coilovers are just that. Cheap crap.

Bilstein are the perfect coilovers to go for if you want it very good on the road and decent enough on track. They're around £750 I think.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
If people don't want to spend the world but still want a decent set of coilovers, they need to be looking at AP's.

They're highly rated in the VAG world and are made by KW so are excellent quality. I had a set on my daily A3 for over a year, on the lowest they could go and they were comfier than the standard suspension. Still £500+ though.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I don't track my car, however on the road they are perfect.

There are quite a few on here who do though.