ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

coilovers stuck

172 cup
hi

trying to adjust my coilovers and its stuck i cant move it at all, tried heat, also wd40 and with a spanner and a hammer lol and still wont budge it just bend the c spanner, any ideas?

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
sounds like a pain in arse, coileys are meant to be taken off and greased every 6 months!!

mk4 golf gttdi180
i got a set for 20 quid that had seized heated them up then chizzled them undone copper gresed and all done now mega bargin

172 cup
u chizzled them off of chizzled them so it would move, never really thought of that, they are gaz gold, ive just recently bought the car so if it were me that had them i wud of greased them

As edde suggests use penetrating oil duck/mech oil and give it a major soaking in it. WD40 is useless it's a water dispursant and is no good for freeing off things that are properly seized up. If they still wont budge after soaking in penetrating oil then you'll have to cut them off. will be worth taking a wire brush to the threads either side of the collars if they are full of crap and corrosion as that wont help either.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
As edde suggests use penetrating oil duck/mech oil and give it a major soaking in it. WD40 is useless it's a water dispursant and is no good for freeing off things that are properly seized up. If they still wont budge after soaking in penetrating oil then you'll have to cut them off. will be worth taking a wire brush to the threads either side of the collars if they are full of crap and corrosion as that wont help either.
yeh wire brush essential.

i had to clean up mine when i was having it set up, took ages. defo needs done every 6months.

last knobhead owner never bothered cleaning them :rolleyes:

172 cup
a will give the wire brush a go and sum oil to see if it will budge the bottom one mves ok just the other one wont move at all, yeah same here guy obv hasnt cleaned them at all

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
try soaking them for a bit as well, will shift the muck and guff eventually, requries quite alot of perseverence

Golf TDI
i had to sort mine out today which had siezed up . i put them in a vice , wd40 them to f**k and back , used a chizzle and heavy hammer and wound the rings off , then cleaned all the threads up with a wire brush and they are like brand new now .