ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilover HELP !!

RB 182
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?520829-V-Maxx-Coilovers&highlight=v+maxx+coilovers

I have just brought the coilovers in the link above! I fitted them to my 172 at the weekend and had no problems until it came to putting my standard wheels back on! I do not know a great deal about cars but it was clear that the tyre was touching the strut. I looked back on the threads to make sure that i hadnt missed anything and noticed something about '54mm bolt spacing'. What does this mean, is there anyway i can use these coilovers and still run standard wheels? I have searched bolt spacing on here, but am still confused! Any help would be much appreciated :)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I'm pretty sure all the 172's are 54mm mate so doubt thats your problem.

Its the space between the 2 bolts you used to attach the coilover to the hub.

RB 182
The strut bolted on fine no hint of a problem until i put the wheel on so have i just got the wrong coilovers? How or can the bolt spacing effect this?

So confused :(

RB 182
Cheers, i understand that this can be done but putting spacers on wasnt really what i wanted to do. As it currently doesnt fit with standard wheels does this mean i have got the wrong coilovers for my car?

Rusty Cup
looks like you the ability to adjust the camber by the looks of the top strut bolt, you probably have to much camber dialled in. crouch down at the back of the car looking down the side towards the front wheel and see if the top of the front wheel is set in further than the bottom of the front wheel. You shouldnt need spacers to make these work.

RB 182
It cant be this i measured the camber with a gauge was its fine. Even if i give it positive camber its makes it about 1mm off the wheel when up it the air, and soon as i let it down its going to move even closer..:(

I had this problem on my non sport. Standard 15" Alloys rubbed on the adjuster ring on the front coilover struts. As a temporary solution I just ran maximum positive camber, to push the top of the wheel away from the strut. I then bought some Hubcentric spacers and can now adjust the camber with no problems.

RB 182
yer i understand that would sovle the problem for me, but i dont see why im having this problem in the first place as these are ment to fit my car? does the bolt spacing make that much of a difference?

The bolt spacing has nothing to do with how far in the arch the wheel sits so its nothing to do with the bolt spacing.
apart from the top bolt hole being slotted so you can adjust the camber.

RB 182
I know the top bolt adjusts the camber, the camber i have on the wheels is fine. I just dont see why i'm having this trouble when no one esle is?