ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilover dilemma

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Hi all,

I want to buy a good set of coilovers as my ph1 172 doesn't sit low enough even on my Sportlines and one of my rear shocks has now shot its oil all over my drive way...:(

My dilemma is that i dont want a cheap kit or one thats going to look like they have been on the "sea bed" after a few months (cars not used in bad weather or as a daily)
But i dont need to spend £1000 as its not used on track so ive come up with a list on what i think, but your input will be great.

I am thinking about ordering them from Venom motorsport unless someone knows of another company? If they are near to Essex then i will collect as i hate waiting for things...:)

Right here goes.

AP kit, adjustable or non adjustable
Spax RSX, i here they do 2 types one for track with has all 4 shocks being "coilovers" also the bodies are painted so no rust
Weitec GT, not adjustable
Bilstein B14, dont know if they go low enough and have heard bad reviews on here with them leaking
The FK range, from the Highsport to the Sliverline X, i like the idear of the stainless steel on the Sliverline and the Konis are a good shock i had Koni top adjustables on my MK2 Golf GTI and they where fine.

So as you can see my buget ranges from £460 ish up to £750

I want a good quality kit with a good ride, i understand its not going to be like driving a E class Merc...;)

Your input will be great, thanks in advance

Scott

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Thanks when i called Venom Motorsport they said about the AP kit, i think ill order the Sliverline X kit as i like shiny things...

Cheers Scott

Clio 172 Ph1
Dont go bilsteins!! The car sits to high on the rear. If i could go back and buy again i would go for spax there fully adjustable all rnd.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Dont go bilsteins!! The car sits to high on the rear. If i could go back and buy again i would go for spax there fully adjustable all rnd.

I had seen bad feed back on here with the Bilsteins where they are having oil leaking problems i also look at the spec and saw that they dont drop very much.

Am i right in saying that Spax do two types of the RSX kits? One having all 4 shocks being coilovers and the other with just the fronts being coilovers and the rears the same as standard but with platforms that adjust?

Thanks scott.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Have you considerd KW v1/2?

I just thought for the price i could maybe get something better?
The V2s are a £1000 i thought and for just over £700 i could get the FK Sliverline X which are fully adjustable and have stainless steel bodies so no rusty shocks after a few months

Scott

Definatley konigsports. Just fitted mine yesterday and can't fault them as of yet but compared to others i've used they seem very comfortable and make the car look amazing especially being fully adjustable!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Definatley konigsports. Just fitted mine yesterday and can't fault them as of yet but compared to others i've used they seem very comfortable and make the car look amazing especially being fully adjustable!

Its going this way tbh, im going to call Venom in the morning and have a chat with them.

Scott

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Hmmm what the pros and cons of each type dan? also whats the price on each just to supply?

While im replacing the shocks im thinking about stripping out the front, replacing wheel bearings, track rod ends, ball joints and getting the other bits powder coated.
Also is there any point in getting rear camber shims and if so what ones?

Thanks scott.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I do ;) I also have both types in stock for the 172 at the moment, and I can also do fitting and setup for a very reasonable price ;)

Cheers for the your time on the phone mate, with regards to the Spax kit from Venom its the old kit with the non adjustable rear springs so not the up to date kit that you sell so thats why its cheap.

Scott.