ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch slipping above 3k revs

Evo 8 and clio 172
Hi guys,

I have done a number of searches to see what people think of why the clutch is slipping. Currently if you give anything over half throttle in 3rd and above the clutch is slipping. The clutch is new, fitted in June. Was fine for a month and a half then it started to slip a little and has got a lot worse over the last few weeks. I use the car daily for commuting so it doesn't get a hard time of it.

Old clutch was removed as it was slipping but wasn't as bad as it is now. I didn't fit it but no oil leaks were noted (this I believe could be the issue, although can see any oil in the bell housing so won't be gearbox side...maybe crank seal weeping?). Flywheel wasn't checked to my understanding. Clutch cable was replaced as the old one had been bodged good and proper!

I am guessing it's box out which reading some of the threads is going to be a mission! :( thought before I resort to having to pull it all apart see what propels thoughts are?

Cheers
Matt

330i. E30 Touring.
For a 172/182, Valeo or OEM are the only recommended versions.
Valeo is OEM. Just without the Renault badge. :)

@Russ_16v can do pretty good prices on these iirc.

EDIT: Just found it:
RRP is £166, but I currently have these on offer for £105 including delivery!

Even better, for Cliosport members I am dropping the price to £100 including delivery! Just use discount code CLIOSPORTVALEO

www.sw-autos.uk

Evo 8 and clio 172
Wouldn't have thought a cheap clutch would go that quick!

£100 for a valeo clutch doesn't sound bad to me :) the way it's going it will have no drive lol

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Unless it was a defective item I would be surprised if a new clutch wore out that quickly. Is there anything else it could be? I'd say the release system but that's just a cable on 172s isn't it?

Unless it was a defective item I would be surprised if a new clutch wore out that quickly. Is there anything else it could be? I'd say the release system but that's just a cable on 172s isn't it?
I've had 3 or 4 brand new LUK items slip from the moment they're put in. It's why I never fit anything other than valeo

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I've had 3 or 4 brand new LUK items slip from the moment they're put in. It's why I never fit anything other than valeo
Not saying it doesn't happen, but doesn't LUK make OE clutches for various cars, why would they make something that's garbage?

Is it true that a clutch needs to bed in when first installed?

dan's cast offs.
I didn't fit it... ...Clutch cable was replaced as the old one had been bodged good and proper!

are you 100% certain the clutch was changed? this smacks of car goes into garage, garage 'go oh crap it's a big job' and lob a cable on instead of changing it:wink:

any idea on the make of clutch 'used'

Evo 8 and clio 172
Like to think the clutch was changed, the fact it didn't slip for the fist 6 weeks I would say so. Certainly got worse since then. Know there are some dodgy garages out there, read it was a faff to replace the clutch so thought I was taking the easier opinion. Least nothing should be seized on lol.

I will have a look about the clutch but it wasn't valeo or luk, some other cheaper brand item. To update when I have checked.

Evo 8 and clio 172
uh oh...waiting to hear the dreaded transmech...

It's not but just had to google it sounds on the same level...national clutch. Seeing the price of these maybe it's made of chocolate and the reason it's already shot!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Is it just me that thinks theres more to it? Old clutch was slipping, new clutch fitted - still slipping, to me that points to something else causing the issue.

If it were me, i'f strip it and investigate, but I suppose it depends on your level of skills and time availablity.

I had a similar thing with a juddering clutch in my old GTI-6. I changed that clutch twice, and each time it went away for a few weeks, then came back. Turned out the flywheel needed skimming.

Evo 8 and clio 172
Is it just me that thinks theres more to it? Old clutch was slipping, new clutch fitted - still slipping, to me that points to something else causing the issue.

If it were me, i'f strip it and investigate, but I suppose it depends on your level of skills and time availablity.

I had a similar thing with a juddering clutch in my old GTI-6. I changed that clutch twice, and each time it went away for a few weeks, then came back. Turned out the flywheel needed skimming.

I did wonder if it was the flywheel not being flat. Do have some paperwork of a aftermarket flywheel being fitted in 2009. Can't say if that's still on though.

It's the time factor for pulling it apart, need the car for work. I will have to get some free time to strip it all down and see what's what. Was looking to see what people thought really. Still got hold of my mates transmission jack from replacing the rear diff on the evo which should save benching the box lol.

Never seen a glazed flywheel on these. I'm still betting it's a cheap and nasty clutch. We swear by valeo for a reason.

Cheers bud, won't make the same mistake twice and fit a valeo.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The standard Megane 225/R26/R26r clutches are luk.

LUK do make a range of OE units, including the one on the RS Megane but do not confuse these items with LUK RepSet kits... Utter shite!

On a 172/182 that is running NA power of 200hp or less, Valeo is the general unit of choice giving great performance and life span. Yes, you do get the odd one fail but generally they're fit and forget (except when raced/seriously a used of course).

Am I missing something ? If the clutch was replaced in June then whoever replaced it will know what type. It's also their job to guarantee the work