ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch Release Bearing?

Alien Green 200
Hi,

Bear with me, I don't have a clue about problems with cars, so please explain like I'm 5 :)

My clutch is making a sort of creaking noise when its first used in the morning. It happens up until the biting point is reached in 1st, 2nd and 3rd (not sure if it happens in 4th, 5th or 6th as I can't hear it over the exhaust). It usually stops after around 10-15minutes of driving, and it only started on Friday.

I think it may be the clutch release bearing? How would I know for sure without taking it to a garage? I will try and get a video of the noise to help a bit more.

Alien Green 200
I had a quick look on the 197/200 forums and some have said something about brake fluid? I've just had my two rear callipers changed as they had completely seized. Could it be linked to that...and nothing to worry about?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
It happened on my 197 when changing to ATE Superblue brake fluid. If its a creaking noise as you lift the clutch pedal it's probably that.

Alien Green 200
It happened on my 197 when changing to ATE Superblue brake fluid. If its a creaking noise as you lift the clutch pedal it's probably that.
I'll have a word with the mechanic who did my brakes to see if that's what he used.

If it is that...is it anything to worry about/need to sort? Don't want it to cause any long term damage.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I'll have a word with the mechanic who did my brakes to see if that's what he used.

If it is that...is it anything to worry about/need to sort? Don't want it to cause any long term damage.

It didn't cause any issues in the 12 months + that I ran it for. There's loads on 197.net that have the issue too, if it is that of course.

Have a look in the brake fluid header, it's easy to tell if superblue was used, it's well err blue! It could potentially happen with other fluids, it just seems to be common with the ATE stuff.

Where is the noise coming from? If it's like mine, it sounds like it's the pedal (it isn't, it's the brake master cylinder just the other side of the firewall)

Alien Green 200
It didn't cause any issues in the 12 months + that I ran it for. There's loads on 197.net that have the issue too, if it is that of course.

Where is the noise coming from? If it's like mine, it sounds like it's the pedal (it isn't, it's the brake master cylinder just the other side of the firewall)
Yeah, sounds like it's right below my foot...seems to be fine when its over the biting point and only seems to do it for the first 10/15 minutes of driving. It's quite loud too...can hear it over my music. Definitely would say its a creaking noise.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Yeah, sounds like it's right below my foot...seems to be fine when its over the biting point and only seems to do it for the first 10/15 minutes of driving. It's quite loud too...can hear it over my music. Definitely would say its a creaking noise.

If that's the case, it's nothing to do with the release bearing. The release bearing is in the gearbox housing, so you'd not hear it near your feet.

Alien Green 200
If that's the case, it's nothing to do with the release bearing. The release bearing is in the gearbox housing, so you'd not hear it near your feet.
That's a huge help. Thanks :)

Just spent a small fortune on the car...didn't want to have to fork out more just yet!